8-Fatherless and Daddy Issues

˚₊‧꒰ა ☆ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

"I can't believe you bought the entire fucking menu," I groaned taking a bite of one of thee various crissaunts layed out on the table.

"You were warned," Reo was sitting next to me eating his sandwich with a smug look on his face.

"You are unbelievable Mikage Reo"

"I know."

"Hey Reo, can I ask you something?" I leaned over and poked his side to try and get his attention.

"No."

"What made you want to play soccer?" I asked. I knew that before soccer Reo had bounced around from sport to sport excelling at each one, but I had never seen him act so passionate about a single sport. Especially considering he had gone out of his way to pitch the idea of a proper team to the principal.

"When did you start caring?"

I rolled my eyes in response, "Just answer the question and I'll answer one of yours"

Reo hesitated for a moment and then sighed "I'm really not sure why this matter to you at all, but, I guess...all my life I've had things handed to me. School and grades are easy for me, highschool level sports are easy for me, getting girls is easy for me, I have an insanely large heritance waiting for me, and my parents are nice. I mean on paper I have the perfect life you know?" I nod my head in response. "But I guess, everything was so boring...until I discovered soccer and Nagi Seishiro. My father told me I couldn't do it...that I should just give up on my dream of winning the world cup, but that trophy is something worth working for. In my eyes, nothing has value unless I have to work for it"

I was a little surprised at Reo's answer. I had never seen him so genuine and passionate about something. I was almost happy to see that there were other sides to the typically snarky and overconfident Reo. Just maybe, in the future, I could see myself being friends with him. "So you like girls who are hard to get," I teased, trying to lighten the mood.

"Shut up, it's my turn to ask a question. How come you're so into soccer? I mean you don't get nearly as much prestige as a female player even if you go pro"

"I guess, I guess there's a lot of reasons...my dad got me into playing soccer. From the day I started walking he was teaching me how to kick a soccer ball. He used to want to be a pro player but he suffered from myalgia which made it too difficult for him to play. I think he wanted me to be able to live that dream for him," I smiled fondly remembering how peaceful life was when I was younger, "he...he passed away 4 years ago because of medical complications from his myalgia. I guess I play so I can still be close with him. I mean the least I can do for the dad who gave me the world is too keep playing for him so I can keep his dream alive"

I could see Reo's facial expression soften a little, it must of been my mind playing tricks on me but I almost saw a hint of worry and sadness in his eyes, "y/n...I had no idea..I'm sor-"

"Don't be," I say, cutting him off, "It's not your fault and it's fine now, okay?" I say while wiping away some of the tears that had started to form in my eyes. I hated people seeing me like this. Reo awkwardly handed me a clean napkin to wipe my eyes with. "Oh my god, I made this so awkward. Please change the subject.." I say laughing at myself while drying the rest of my tears.

"UHH...this sandwich is really good?"

"God you're so awkward Reo!" I laugh playfully elbowing him, "just ask me another question?"

"What's your favorite color...?" he asked, I could tell he was desperately trying to salvage the remains of our conversation.

"You're going to laugh at me," I mumbled.

"Pft why would I even laugh at you for that dummy?," he said, flicking my forehead.

"...bright purple," I murmured, looking away to hide my red face from Reo and his very bright purple hair. In response he laughed at my reaction, "you said you wouldn't laugh!"

"So that's why you like staring at me in class so much?" Reo teased, obviously referring back to the lint incident, "you just really like my hair don't you?"

"Shut uppp" I groaned, burying my red face into my hands. I suddenly felt a hand wrap around my wrists pull my hands away from my red face, "Wah what are you doing Reo?"

"Stop hiding y/n. I like seeing your face when you blush," his comment made my face go even redder. I tried to hide my face in my hands again but Reo's grip was too strong, "You didn't common across as a blusher y/n"

"I'm not! Be quiet!" I snapped back trying to keep my composure as he teased but Reo was just so close to me right now. His left hand was locked around my wrist and we were so close I could feel his thigh pressed against mine and his soft breath against my face. I wouldn't ever admit it but being this close to Reo felt...right? I could feel myself leaning into him a bit more, it was like my body was moving on its own, like I was desperate to close the gap between me and Reo. Before I could lean in any further my phone buzzed in my pocket.

The buzz woke me back up to reality. Reo's let go of my wrists but didn't move away. "Who is it?" he asked. I reached for my phone and saw the little display message:

Seishiro

are u actually dating reo?

I sat there shocked a little just staring at the display message. It didn't feel real. After no communication between the both of us for months he would randomly ask that stupid question completely out of the blue after ghosting me? Reo leaned over to see my screen brushing against me. After he saw the name and message he pulled away fully from me. He pushed his chair away, scooching it to where it had originally been, yet somehow the distance between us both felt greater than ever.

"So Nagi, huh?"

˚₊‧꒰ა ☆ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

~Additional time~

-Myalgia is a diease that can cause extreme muscle pain. I actually did a school project about it so that's how I ended up using it as a plot device lol

-Also if my hinting wasn't obvious, the reason Reo liked y/n in the first place was because she wasn't intrested in him. Hence the whole hard-to-get thing and him getting rejected for the first time by her freshman year blah blah blah.

-Anyways thank you so much to the people reading this. I love you so much <333