Guilt and Forgiveness

Zeref Dragneel's POV

              On the way back to the art room, Mavis kept on trying to make me laugh but I, of course, wouldn't laugh at her corny jokes. I kept on looking at her bandaged arm and felt a lot of guilt building inside me. The more I kept thinking about her injury, the more I got mad at myself. I'm not usually like this so why?
"Hey Zeref, why do you look so upset?" Mavis whined.
"Is it because of my jokes? Look, I know they're horrible but just bear with me-"
"Pfft! That's not it. Though I admit, you make horrible jokes, that's not the problem. I just... feel bad that I didn't pull you farther enough and now your arm is all bruised and bleeding." I looked down at the ground.
...
"Itai*! Baka*! Why did you slap me?!" I felt pain on both side of my cheeks.
"Come on Zeref! Today's not the day to be down. Everyday, it's a day to laugh, smile, and enjoy yourself!" Mavis said with a grin.
My eyes widen. I never heard that before. I've always had thought that the world was just some dark place where people spread rumors and believe them easily and they can do what they want (Which kinda is true. 2k16 is trash). I evert my eyes from Mavis's and stare at the ground again.
"Then..." I say quietly.
"Can you show me how the world is a beautiful place?"
"Eh? Of course! Everyone deserves to see what this world can be full of. Even Lucy!" She smiled kindly but there was a hint of sadness in her eyes.
"Though, Lucy might have purposely threw the bucket on my arm, it's not like I'm going to hold a grudge on her." Wow, she is way different from other people.
"Some girls hold grudges for like 10 years. For example, when you take their food, they're just like "oh, remember the last time you took my cookie or whatever, yeah, no, you owe me 1000 more. Or else... I will find you. And I will kill you." Mavis said in a scary tone at the end.
"Haha." I chuckled.
I felt a little happy that Mavis was here beside me. She didn't even believe the rumors that were spread around me.
"Yokatta*. I'm glad I made you laugh a little bit when you were down... especially when I made all those bad jokes beforehand." She said softly and sheepishly.
Then, I realized something. I looked up and saw a clock. It seems like class is going to end in 4 minutes.
"Mavis. Look at the clock."
" What is i-" Her eyes widened in shock.
"ZEREF WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME SOONER?!" She shouted in disbelief.
"You never asked and I just realized it right now-" I said calmly but then, she cut me off by grabbing my wrist and we both ran back into the classroom.
"Stupid! Did you really need to make me run too?" I said in an irritated voice. I flicked her on the forehead and she was pouting. Before she was going to get mad at me, sensei* saw us and told us what our project was. She told me that I would have to work with Mavis since her dominant arm was injured.
Wh-. Wha-. What. WHAT. I had a dark aura surrounding me and I got even more irritated. Will she even work on the project. I mean, she is an idiot now but is she going to be an idiot on assignments?! Mavis looked at me with a slight of hope in her eyes.
"No. I refuse to work with her sensei*." I said bluntly and I started walking away to the next period but then, I felt a hand grab my shoulder.
"Nani*? You won't help your friend who was injured? Oh, and what will happen if I give you both a 0 on the project. Since you said no, a 0 will be fine in your grades right? It probably won't stand out... too much" Okay. I glared at sensei*. I knew she was trying to guilt trip me and if I kept saying no. But to think that she would even drop my grades because I have to help Mavis is even crazier. Ugh. I guess I have no choice.
"Fine. I'll help her." I glared at Mavis but she just gave me a cheerful smile.

Geez. What is up with her? She's not intimidated by me at all? Strange.

Japanese Learning 101

1. Itai (痛い) = Ouch/Painful
2. Baka (バカ) = Idiot/Stupid/Fool
3. Sensei (先生) = Teacher
4. Nani (何) = What