~.* Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Past Love *.~

Start from the beginning

Hange held up their hands in a friendly manner, "That's fine. If you're in the middle of something, you can get back to it. But we'd like to have a quick word with you once you finish up."

Niccolo took up Hange's offer and led the scouts to an empty room. He was currently serving the Braus family a free meal in another room and you completely understood his reasoning. "I will ask you to wait here until I finish."

The room was very fancy yet simple for a restaurant, being furnished with green chairs with fine wood holding them up. The tables were finished with a white tablecloth.

"Wow. It's pretty fancy in here," Hange commented with their eye looking around.

Connie and Jean started to walk around, observing the furniture around. "I bet it's usually reserved for MPs."

When you looked over at the wine cabinet, the mullet-haired man reached out for one of the wines with a red top on it. "Hey, I've heard a whole lotta talk about this wine. It's so nice that it's only served high-ranking members of the military," he said as he held it up in front of his face.

"Well, aren't we high-ranking members of the Scouts?" Connie inquired, walking over to him.

Jean spun around quickly, "Sure are! I'd say we've earned a quick sip of liquid luxury. Let's have a little--"

"Don't touch that!"

You watched the chef quickly zip towards the wine bottle and snatch the bottle from him, shielding it with his body almost. What an overreaction in your opinion. Walking over to the wine cabinet, you looked at the names of them from a distance as the bickering happened right next to you.

"Woah, calm down man," Jean said in shock at Niccolo's reaction. "We were just screwing around, so relax. No need to make a big thing of it."

He turned around, facing the two men. "A wine of this quality would be wasted on Eldians, understand?" His hands tightly gripped the bottle as if his life would end if he let go.

"What's with you?"

With a faint sigh, you tuned out the aggravating childish fight as you shut your eyes. Your thoughts consisted of what if you were to just slap one of the two guys yelling at each other to make them shut up. But, it was just a simple 'what if.'

Niccolo left with quiet steps as Jean started to grumble to himself.

"Who does that guy think he--"

"Jean!"

The taller man, startled, looked over at you as he stopped his disdain toward Niccolo. He saw the irritation growing in your eyes and before he could say something, you spoke: "Stop whining for a minute. You're not being professional."

"Ah--" he spoke, visibly startled by your response. "I'm sorry. It's just that the guy needs to get his act together toward Eldians. It's been what, how long? The guy still is paranoid about us," he said as he rubbed his arm.

After a few minutes of waiting, you heard a couple of clashing sounds on the floor below you. Hange guided all of you to the first floor to see what was going on, just to see Niccolo holding two kids with a blade in his hand.