ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

To say that one summer wasn't enough to grieve was an understatement.

He dreaded that first day back to school, there was no surprise he was up at dawn looking outside his window watching thew quiet street and early birds, people going for morning runs.

The death of his parents was still fresh in his mind and no matter how much counselling or support he had, the tiny voice at the back of his head continued to whisper him: it was all his fault.

Their aunt Jenna became their guardian after that horrible accident. Elio could see that she tried her best to look after al three of them however it became clear soon enough she could not control them since Jenna herself was also grieving her big sister and her brother-in-law's death.

The summer was difficult for them all, everyone had different ways to cope with the terrible loss. Jeremy turned to drugs, Elena decided to shut things out and put on a smile when others were around and Elio... he wasn't sure what to do. He had to help his siblings while also helping himself. Which meant he spent a lot of time by himself drawing during the night and running on a few hours of sleep.

It wasn't healthy, but he was scared to sleep. Each time he closed his eyes the events replayed in front of him and he woke up sweating and crying.

Of course, arriving to the first day of school meant they could no longer hide or avoid. Facing everyone was something he wanted to avoid... especially since he broke up with Daniel as Elena broke up with Matt and things were awkward in their group. Luckily to him Caroline was fully supporting him, but that did not make things easier.

In the past, his mom and dad were always there to calm him down and support him, telling him everything was alright. His mom always knew how to calm him down no matter what. Even when he had strange dreams.

Elio shook himself and getting up from the window closed his diary, and putting it in his bag began changing into a more appropriate attire. His t-shirt was gently hugging his toned upper body, the jeans were comfortable for him and getting his shoes on he looked in the mirror and looking at his hair he gently tried to fix it but after a while he gave up and went with the little messy style.

He looked at himself in the mirror for a while, but as he averted his gaze from his own reflection, his eyes settled on a picture on his table. It was a family picture, their parents, him and Elena at 12 while Jeremy was eight. Elena hugged him tightly while Jeremy was on his back with a big and excited grin on his face, behind them Miranda and Grayson smiling happily.

The image has brought back so many happy memories of them at the Lake House but with the memories came the sadness. Looking up he forced his tears back up, inhaling sharply pulled himself together. He did not want anyone to worry about him.

Walking out of his room looked at the closed doors, his eyes rested on their parent's old bedroom before he walked to the room next to his and knocking on the door while keeping hi eyes on the opposite door called in.

"Elena? Are you ready?"

"Yeah" came the voice of Elena and soon enough the door opened and looking at each other Elena looked at her brother and spoke quietly her voice laced with concern seeing his eyes. "Are you okay?"

"I will be" responded the boy honestly. "Come on, we better get this day over with."

Walking down the stair they arrived tot eh kitchen only to find a frantic Jenna rush around trying to get everything sorted for the three kids going back to school. The twins shared a glance and they could both tell she was a mess.

"Toast! I can make toast!" announced Jenna noticing the twins however Elio walked to the coffee machine and seeing the ready batch he pulled out three mugs and pouring into them tried to reassure his aunt.