Chapter 10

The first word that came to Jeongin’s mind upon seeing himself in the mirror was filthy. He’d just returned to his room after Chaeyong’s long boring speech party and he looked, well, crap. His clothes were torn in places, His face was covered in patches of bandage and dirt.

It’s been years since he faced something like this. It's been years since a gun was aimed at him. Since he felt like he was on the edge of life.  Since he felt like he lost everything.

He jumped slightly as someone knocked on the door. His brows furrowed in confusion unable to guess who could be here at this hour. "This couldn’t be Minho?" He whispered to himself.

"Jeongin? It’s me. Can you please open the door?" A hushed voice came from the other side of the door.

Hyunjin. Here?

Jeongin sighed loudly, picking up a few scattered pieces of clothing lying in his room, and throwing them into his cupboard. He put his gun into the drawer before finally opening the door.

"What are you doing here?"

“I came here to .." Hyunjin trailed off, glancing at Jeongin from head to toe, "That’s because of me right?" His voice nearly disappeared as a croak left his mouth.

Jeongin blinked, looking down at himself, "No. It’s because of the mission," he shifted, giving Hyunjin space to enter, "Why did you come?" Jeongin was observing him even as he entered his home. "You’re okay?"

His voice was dialled down, making Hyunjin cautious. "Yes? Why? Do I not look fine?" Hyunjin said as he closed the door behind him and turned to find Jeongin glaring at him with his arms crossed against his chest.

Hyunjin raised an eyebrow, wondering if he really looked that bad. When he tried to speak, his throat ached from being parched and his eyes looked longingly at the water bottle on the nightstand. "It’s just that I am tired." He cleared his throat. "and thirsty."

He felt Jeongin's scrutinizing gaze over him as he crossed him and grabbed the water bottle, emptying it whole in a few huge gulps. When he set it down, Jeongin asked, "You look like you regret something. Did someone say something to you? Did Minho again…"

"No, it’s nothing like that Jeongin."  He paused for a moment before. "I came here to apologize,” Hyunjin said moving closer to Jeongin, his voice quiet as night. His shaking hand reached out, tracing his thumb along the bandages and scars on Jeongin’s face, who was standing frozen in his spot. “This one's my fault,” He dabbed the bandage on his forehead. “This one's my fault.” He moved his thumb gently across the scar on Jeongin’s cheekbone. “Minho was right, I should have protected you.”

Jeongin was too far from reality to digest anything Hyunjin was saying. He wanted to pull himself back but he felt like he couldn’t.  Hyunjin's touch sent chills to his blood—as if his veins would shatter like glass if he moved. He mustered up the ghost of courage left inside him and held Hyunjin's hands. He looked at him, looking at his eyes that were shining with unshed tears. “You saved me. That’s the only thing I remember."

The tears raced down Hyunjin’s cheek as he tried to quieten down a choked sob. “If something happened to you. I would have never forgiven myself. I can't just...my." Hyunjin cast a mere glance at his hands that were in the brace of Jeongin.

"Hyunjin, that's not the entire truth, right?" Jeongin hesitantly backed his hands fidgeting with his fingers, avoiding any kind of eye contact.

"I haven't told this to anyone." There was a silent instruction for Jeongin to keep whatever Hyunjin was about to say, a secret. Jeongin nodded silently. "I couldn't save my father. He died because of me. I thought I lost you too when I saw him pointing the gun at you." Hyunjin inhaled a deep shakey breath. It was worse than remembering. It was reliving. "I loved him so much and I lo— "

Hyunjin shook his head, eyes widening as he realised. He backed up from Jeongin who was looking at him unable to grasp anything. "I am sorry" Hyunjin rushed out, his coat flying behind him.

Jeongin didn't dare to move from where he was standing. His lips curled into an odd smile while a tear rolled down his cheek.

.......

Minho tried to keep himself busy but all his efforts were in vain. He locked himself in what they call the study room but all there was the case files they were done with or stacks of useless papers.

He fidgets with papers lying on the table barely looking at each for two seconds before throwing them over.

He continued this cycle until a soft hand grabs his arm. He closed his eyes tightly leaning himself on the table, his shivering hands supporting his body.

"How did you get in Han?" Minho demanded, his voice stern but soft. "The door may have one lock but it has a lot of keys.

"Tell me you hate me now too. " Minho voice sounded strained like he was holding tears. "Why would anyone hate you  Minho? Why would you think like that?"

"Because I overreact, I shout and I hold collars." Minho turned around slowly. He saw Han looking at him with eyes full of concern. "No, you care about people around you, you love them and you always put them first. You are a protector."

"It's only you who think that. " Minho said smiling ruefully.  "I thought I was the only one who matters," Han said quietly, his eyes never leaving Minho's face. Minho paused before leaning towards him, closing the gap between them. He cupped Han's face, moving his thumbs on his soft cheeks and pressed his lips on his forehead.

Han nuzzled his face in his neck caging him in a bone-crushing hug. "I hate when you talk like that."

"I am sorry. I was scared for you han and that idiot Jeongin. " Minho mumbled in Han's ear. "I agree," Han muttered. "You were scared?" Minho asked attentively.

"No, Jeongin's an idiot." He smiled mischievously and grinned even harder when Minho joined him.

......

Thought 💭