Hiding

*Two Days Later*

(Keith)

When Shiro chose he and Pidge to go meet the Deathhawks, saying Keith was surprised would be an understatement.

"You realize Allura's the diplomat, right? Hunk's the mediator? You are the leader? No offense against Pidge, but we really aren't the top contenders for this," he drilled, following Shiro as he marched to the barracks in his really annoying "my decision is final" way. 

"Keith, Pidge is perfect for this because you are going for data and information. The alliance is sealed, so diplomats and mediators aren't really needed," he said curtly.

"And what about you?" Keith probed.

"Honestly, Keith, I think you questioning them may have been a bit out of turn, but you were right. We need to know as much as possible about our allies. We need your instincts on this mission."

Keith was taken aback, but grateful nonetheless.

"Now suit up. You need to leave within the hour if you want to make it to the coordinates in time," Shiro said, turning around. "Be safe, Keith. Trust your instincts. And come back," Shiro added. No doubt he was thinking of Lance, as he always was around this time of year. 

He was on Keith's mind too, but all throughout the year. And in the form of nightmares. Nearly every night he saw the many different things that could have happened to his friend. And every morning he awoke in a cold sweat. Half of him had a FEELING Lance was alive, somewhere out in the universe. And he knew the others felt it too. And yet, it had been SIX YEARS. There was still no sign of him, not even a trace. And so the other half of him had given up.

His train of thought was interrupted by Pidge streaming past him, shouting at him to hurry up.

Ten minutes later, they took to the skies inside the Green Lion, Keith welcoming the distraction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Lance)

Lance sat in his room, thinking. He'd been doing that a lot the last two days. He was going to see his old friends tomorrow, his old FAMILY. And yet, he wasn't really going to. He knew it, it was best to just stay out of their lives. That transmission proved it. Allura was the blue paladin now, he could see that much. And any hope that they thought he may have been in the slave trade, and were calling them for information on HIM, was gone. HE was gone. 

A knock sounded on his door, one he recognized as Boera's favorite tune. He bid her enter, and she came in followed by Hirej. It warmed Lance's heart how close those two were. Hirej was hardened, but Boera seemed to soften him and make him become more... fun. And when Boera was with him, Lance saw her open up and be happy. He was glad to see them growing together, and hoped it would continue.

"Lance, are you okay?" Boera asked, sitting down next to him on his bed. Hirej leaned against his bedside table, arms crossed. 

"I'm fine Boera," he replied. It wasn't very convincing, and he knew it. Hirej knew it too.

"Lance, my friend, this is no easy problem. Perhaps it would be easier, though, if you just revealed-"

"No, Hirej. I'm a different person now. The old me is dead and gone, died in the trades. You of all people should get that, having been in them all your life," Lance retorted, "it's best that they think that I died, too."

"Best for who? Them? You? Lance, why can they not become friends with the new you?" Boera asked. "Maybe you fear that you are not so different? That you will want to go back to them?"