A Mysterious Book Full of Knowledge

'The British Wizarding War. The event that caused the permanent splitting of England's once flourishing Magical Community. Brother on brother, wife on husband, friend on friend and even parent on child. This...event, this phenomenon caused such a large gap between people that even now, years after its end, witches and wizards still don't know who to trust and who to avoid. People were so confused by the sides to the point where you couldn't trust even the most prominent of members to be loyal to their cause. From an insider's perspective, I can confidently say that it was very rare for people to know which side you were on and be confident in their opinion. It was believed that there were two sides, but truthfully there were three. Dark, Light, and Grey, or at least that was how people defined these sides. I personally had a different division, stupid, stupider and mildly smart. I'm kidding... No, I actually divided them as instigator, excessive defender and peacemaker.

The Dark Side, or the instigators, were led by the man we know as Lord Voldemort or You-Know-Who. Yes, they called him You-Know Who, like some secret, because people at the height of the war feared even saying the man's name, but I knew him as Thomas Marvolo Riddle. He'd had a tough life. Growing up in the muggle world during the worst time in London's history, World War Two, he experienced the start of the war at just thirteen years old and saw it end when he was nineteen. He saw death and destruction, and it became like an old friend. Add to that the zealous catholic orphanage he lived in that believed he was the son of the devil for having magic and tried to exorcize him one too many times and being the only muggle raised Slytherin thus being bullied by every walking creature at Hogwarts, and by the time he'd graduated he was well and truly traumatized.

His goals had been simple, at the start at least, he wanted to give muggle-born and muggle raised students an equal chance like their pure-blooded and magical raised counterparts; to be able to grow up in the magical world. His ideas included making pureblood families sponsor and take in those from the non-magical world and teach them magic's ways so that when they entered Hogwarts at eleven, they wouldn't be as completely ignorant as he had been. It was a righteous cause, but it went downhill really fast.

There is no specific time I can point to and say 'yeah that's when things got bloody' because there was never a specific day or year. People just suddenly woke up one day with the news that a muggle town had been massacred, and there was a large snake made of green smoke floating above it to point to who exactly had done it. An hour later, Lord Voldemort appeared and announced to all and sunder that he'd been the cause of the deaths and revealed that his goals were the eradication of all muggles and muggle-borns, even half-bloods, for a Pureblood ruled United Kingdom. Some say the man went mad from too much dark magic, or black magic as those more educated know it as. Others say those he'd been recruiting for his original cause had gotten too ambitious and decided to use him for their own plans, but these are all speculations and no one ever knew what had happened to the determined and cunning Gaunt Lord.

To counter the obvious threat of Lord Snake-face, excuse my language my dear reader, Albus Percival Wulfrick Brian Dumbledore rose to the challenge with his own followers. How he'd collected followers so soon after the threat was revealed would never be known, even if I have a few guesses, but they quickly became the symbol of the resistance, the Light Side if you will (or as I catalogued them, the excessively defensive side), because all English Wixen only think in black and white now. The man himself suddenly rose into infamy once more after his 'legendary' defeat of Lord Gellert Grindelwald, and his followers, the Order of the Phoenix, were seen as heroes. The truth was different, however, as the Order of the Phoenix weren't as innocent and heroic as people thought and had as much blood on their hands as the Death Eaters – Lord Voldemort's followers – did. So why did people trust in them so much, well that's a mystery to me. My theory, on the other hand, is not so mysterious. I believe that this trust stemmed from multiple reasons. Their use of Light Magic, them taking the Phoenix – known as the purest of magical creatures – as their banner and the fact that most of Dumbledore's followers – by nineteen seventy eight – were mostly older teenagers and young adults. I remember back during the Global Wizarding War with Grindelwald (which had been the first war to occur in centuries, read chapter nine for more details on that); the sides were more separate than they were in the British Wizarding War and not as blurred. This time around you really couldn't tell who was good and who was bad; it wasn't as black and white as it was before even if people didn't want to admit that.