14

-• the beginning of a destructive end •-

Sara tugs open the blinds, revealing floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook the infinity pool, offering an imposing view of the lush green valleys and hills. She opens the doors, stepping out on the balcony in the impending darkness of the night. Her flowy, open white sundress flutters with the winds. Holding the balcony grills, she exhales a deep breath, her eyes fixated on the woman relaxing on the reclining chair at the poolside.

Vaidehi Ratnakar Sehgal.

"Hello, Vaidehi," carried by the breeze, her voice loses itself in the chaotic aftermath of the receding storm. She leans in on the banister, hands enclosed together, a pleasant smile gracing itself on her scarlet lips. "Can't wait to meet you," she murmurs to the woman staring at the sky, unaware of the tragedy awaiting to strike her. Pulling away, Sara retreats back into her bedroom, sliding the door close.

Someone rings the doorbell.

Sara walks out of the opulent comfort of her lavishly appointed bedroom and down the hallway to open the main door. Rudra stands on the other side. She steps aside, allowing him to come in. When Rudra enters, she closes the door and follows him inside.

After inspecting the room keenly, his eyes reach hers. "Are you comfortable?"

"Yeah," she smoothes the creases on the edge of the bed and settles down, her legs crossing together in a poised manner.

"I talked to Karan Sehgal about needing another room, but unfortunately, there are none available. They sent me an invite assuming I'll be staying over with my wife, so uhm....."

"It's okay," she brushes off the obvious reason for his worry. "When your father and I were on the run, we lived in a room ten times smaller than this. I can adjust. You can take the bed, and I'll be fine on the couch-"

"No," Rudra immediately declines the offer. "I was thinking I'll stay somewhere else-"

"Please Rudra, I'd rather you stay here." She requests.

"But-"

"Please, I'd be uncomfortable with the thought of you staying somewhere else when I'm the freeloader among us." She interrupts.

He opens his mouth to say something, maybe to convince her to rethink her decision, but then his phone rings and he holds up a finger, excusing himself to the corner as he answers the call. She sits quietly, rolling the ring in her finger as he finishes his conversation in a hushed voice. Her chin lifts when he returns. "Prior to coming here, I had asked Zoya if she'll be open to the idea of sharing a room with you."

"She won't." Sara chuckles.

The woman hates her.

"She said yes."

That takes her by surprise.

"So, if you're not really averse to the idea-"

"Oh, no, I think that's a sound decision." She quickly gets up. She'd be more comfortable here than with Zoya, but she has inconvenienced him enough. He deserves his own space. "I'll just get my bags-" she makes a move to grab her belongings from where they sit in the all-embracing walk-in wardrobe, but beating her to it, Rudra volunteers to carry them for her. "Thank you," she whispers, locking the main door behind them as he takes her to the floor above.

The doors open to reveal a floor straight out of the pages of an Architectural digest. Sara gazes around, her feet padding down the mosaic laid tiles sheathed in the softest velvet carpet. They stop at the second room on the right. Rudra rings the doorbell.