Nightmare 🌙

Comforting Muichiro after a nightmare.

The night air has chilled the floorboards of the mist estates engawa into ice, and they burn against Muichiros skin almost painfully

He wants to cry. His chest hurts. The onslaught of memories is too strong.
Sometimes he wishes he could just forget again.

The night sky does not care and continues to twinkle its gems brazenly, as if bragging about its carefree nature to anyone who looks. It's cold. So cold. So absolutely, terribly cold. A breeze wafts by, and not even his uniform could stave it off. He wants his mother to come over and scold him for not sleeping yet. He wants Yuichiro to shout at him for being annoying from his room. He wants noise: heartbeats, footsteps, axes chopping wood-anything but this long-suffering silence that keeps crawling on and on and on.

Muichiro doesn't want to sleep again. He'll watch everyone he cares for die, and he'll be alone again, and he'll be lost again, and he'll be helpless again.

Suddenly, Muichiro feels a gentle touch on his shoulder.

An intruder? A demon? Please anything but that again. He doesn't even want to think of what happened last time. That night.

"Mui?" Your concerned voice pierces through the fog. "It's me"

It takes him a couple of seconds to connect the dots. The sound of your voice is a song that the male has engraved in his heart. He would recognise it even while asleep.

"Why aren't you asleep?"

You pause upon hearing Muichiros voice. Without taking his eyes off scanning the sky, he pats the seat next to him, on which you gently sit down. The engawa is rough, and the wood cold to sit on.

"I could ask you the same thing", you reply, a small smile playing on your lips and a hand resting on your chin while you observe the mist pillar.

Carefully, you reach out to brush a strand of hair out of his face.
"Was it a nightmare?"

Muichiro nods slowly, his tired aquamarine orbs meeting yours.

Something shifts in your eyes-a sort of understanding of what is going on. Your arms open, inviting him in. "Come here. I'll keep you company."

He should be ashamed of how eager he is to be in your embrace. Warm arms wrap around his torso, a hand tucking him in beneath your chin, and he's overwhelmed by the scent of home and security, like a blanket of nostalgia and sweet reminiscences of family.

Beneath his facade lie devastation, fears, death, and terror, and he doesn't want to deal with his past right now, not when your embrace is this warm and soft. Almost like how home used to feel.

Embracing you feels natural, your bodies meld together perfectly, as if home really is found in each other's arms. Muichiro places his ear above your chest, right next to your beating heart.

Your kisses flutter like butterfly wings across his face, hair, and shoulders, light as a breeze and yet heat skims and remains burning on his skin even after your lips leave.

"Muichiro, please tell me what's wrong", your gentle voice begs him. He looks up at you with a small smile on his lips.

"It's really nothing, love. Let's stay like this for a bit more, okay?"

Your arms tighten around him.

"Mui-"

He hushes you with a finger pressed lightly against your lips. The Hashira smiles again, and it's still a pale imitation of the smile that you know and love, but at least he's smiling.

"I'll be fine," he says, his blue eyes fluttering shut as he buries himself in your embrace again.

"I'll tell you all about it in the morning. Just hold me for tonight, all right?"

You sigh, feeling the lightest press of a kiss in the crook of your neck.

"Of course," you mumble. "I'll hold you for as long as you need me to. I'm not going anywhere, Mui."

The night stills and turns tranquil here in your arms, soothing him, taking his worries and turning them into sweeping tides of warmth and contentment.

Your embrace beckons the day's exhaustion to tug on his weary limbs, and though he tries to stay awake, Muichiro eventually drifts off.