Chapter 52 - A Senior's Wish

Start from the beginning

I walked away from the elevator and headed to the stairwell.

Not many students used this stairwell unless they were on the lower floors. So it was nice having some quiet time to my own in here.

I pushed the steel door open into the dim staircase and began to climb the stairs to the fifth floor.

A student appeared before my eyes on the landing in front of me. Blocking me from going any higher.

"Yo, you're in my way," I said, trying to step past him.

But the student once again placed himself in my way, inhibiting me from moving any further.

I took a good look at the person in front of me. They seemed vaguely familiar. But didn't carry a presence I could remember.

"Follow me," the male student responded curtly.

He then proceeded to walk down the steps I had just come up without another word.

"Why the hell would I follow you?" I asked, slightly agitated.

"I suggest you follow me without question. The person you are meeting has better things to do."

His tone was quite rude and impatient with me, which I didn't appreciate.

He seemed to be slightly older than me, just by the shape of his build.

"Fine," I muttered. "But if you ruin my sleep schedule, that's on you."

~~~

After walking for a brief moment with the mysterious student.

We arrived behind the third-year dormitories.

"This feels familiar in a way," I spoke aloud.

A face I've seen quite a few times turned my way.

"It does bring back memories in a sense."

"It's nice to see you, elder Horikita."

"Kiriyama, I thank you for your services. But you're no longer needed here," Horikita-senpai said.

His face tightened as his agitation only seemed to grow.

"Horikita-senpai, with all due respect. I suggest we leave this first year out of this."

"That's not your decision to make. I've decided I can trust Fukumoto. Whether he accepts what I am going to ask him is entirely up to him."

"But Senpai. How can you trust in the ability of someone you just met!"

"It's my decision. If he proves to be a failure, that will only be my fault."

"Why not trust someone like me! I've been by your side this whole time, aren't I worthy of this?" Kiriyama pleaded to the former president.

"The simple truth is I trust Fukumoto can bring about real change. That is all. You may go now," Horikita replied with the same cold tone as his younger sister.

"Tsk," Kiriyama clicked his tongue and left us without another word.

"Well, that was eventful," I said, turning back to the elder Horikita. "What's this all about anyways?"

"I hear you interviewed for a position on the council; how did that go?"

"I got a position on the council. Nothing fancy."

"Kiriyama, the man who escorted you here. He is also a member of the council, to be precise, he'll be the next Vice-President."

"Hm, is that so... I have a feeling we won't get along. Especially from what he's said recently."