24. Jailbreak

Y/n's POV:

Cold, gray dawn broke over the snowy horizon. Christine and I continued trudging our horses through mountains of snow and ice, praying that neither of them lost their footing in this perilous weather. 

Erik was gone, locked up in dank, dark, rat-infested cell somewhere in Oklahoma. Christine had decided it was best to direct ourselves towards the county jail. Sure, Erik and I had seen the jail in town, but it was a horrible, limewashed-brick building with bars over every door and window. And that was only what they displayed to the world. 

Christine had a strong, straight posture atop her muscular stolen horse. Christine's chin was upturned, and Lotte hung over her back in a sling, fast asleep. Personally, I slouched over my more manageably sized horse. My hands were chapped from the biting cold, and I couldn't have flexed them out of their grip on the horse's reins, even if I had wanted to. Harmony and Rapsody were slung over my shoulders in a similar fashion, and for being born small, they felt like a ton of bricks against my spine. I straightened my back and stroked my horse's mane. 

 "How much longer, do you think?" I asked.

 "The last sign said five miles. We should be there soon enough."

 "Are you afraid?"

 "Of what?"

 "Well, you and Erik don't have the best history."

Christine rolled her shoulders in a shrug. 

 "If he acts anything like I remember, I'm not letting you leave with him."

I chuckled slightly.

 "I assure you, he's changed."

Christine had never met the real Erik, only the repressed, traumatized man who fell for her voice. He was much more sensible than what he portrayed to her. 

We rode in silence until the trail began to feel familiar. That was the creek, though frozen now, and the road was widening. 

 "We're almost there, Christine. This is the way into town."

 "Splendid. I don't think these horses will be able to walk much longer." 

Soon enough, either side of the road was flanked with a small cluster of stores and the few homes that Elam could boast. People filled into the church for a Christmas sermon in masses I had never witnessed before. But we did not stop in the proper area of town. We guided our horses just a little farther, where, a safe distance from the town, the powdery white jailhouse resided. Its narrow, windowless three stories towered over us.

I offered Christine a reassured nod, more for myself than her. We dismounted our horses and tied them to a wooden post. We blew on our hands, trying to restore warmth to them, all to little success.

I was so close to Erik. Just one building away. I could almost feel his presence tangibly on my skin.

Christine stared up at the jailhouse too, though likely with other thoughts than mine in her head.

 "Our plan?" She asked, voice faltering.

 "Tell them we were sent by the French sûreté to retrieve our prisoner. We are taking him back to Europe."

 "It's as good a plan as any."

 "Should we...?"

I gestured to the sling strapped onto my shoulder.

 "Leave them? Heavens, no! You know how these Americans are. They'd steal our little girls."

 "I'm afraid they won't take us seriously if we have them."