Summer time madness.

Start from the beginning

"Hey." We pulled away looking at Conrad. "You're dripping water, I didn't say hi earlier. You look good Lye." I smiled lightly at Conrad nodding my head.

"So I've been told. I'm gonna go get out of these clothes before I catch a cold." I looked back at Jere who was frowning. I walked into my room placing my suitcase down before getting my stuff out. When nighttime came around Jeremiah knocked on my door, smiling down at me.

"You ready for dinner?"

"Oh, yeah." I put my phone down following him downstairs. I sat beside Conrad.

"Steven, I swear to God, if you look at that phone one more time, I'm putting it in the screen basket."

"It's just, we want to see your beautiful faces. Can dinner be a screen-free zone? You know like the golden days."

"Steven." Jeremiah looked at him as his face was still in the screen. "Dude are you kidding me?" He took his phone from his hands and threw it in the screen basket perfectly. "boom! Nailed it."

"Okay, okay, okay, we get it, you've been working out."

"Oh, you're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you."

"Uh, no, actually, it's all about the lean look now. Otheerwise you can't wear tailored suits."

"Sure, keep telling yourself that."

"When are you leaving for trailing camp, man?" The room suddenly went quiet.

"Uh, he quit football."

"Wait, really? You quit?"

"mh-hmm."

"Are you kidding me, man? I'd-I'd kill to play college ball."

"Dude, not about you right now. Sure Conrad has his reasons." I told Steven kicking his leg lightly.

"He can always change his mind."

"I'm not gonna change my mind. I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways."

"Well, if you're not playing football anymore, what are you gonna do all summer?"

"Oh, dude, you can work at the club. Yeah with me and Jere."

"Wait, you guys got jobs this year?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah, I'm lifeguarding, and Steven's working at the snack shop."

"Huh."

"Oh, Belly, Lye, I almost forgot. I have a surprise for you two."

"So this is why you had to stop by the country club." She handed us envelopes.

"What, uh, wh-wh-what is that?"

"I wrangled Belly and Lye an invitation
to be a debutante."

"Is that the thing where the girls wear white dresses and curtsy?" I ask kind of curious.

"It's when a girl comes of age and is presented to society. I-I know it sounds silly, but I swear it's fun. Girls come from all over New England to Cousins just to be a part of it. You'll make so many new friends. Both of you."

"I cannot believe you are still holding on to this archaic dream."

"No, it used to be about finding a husband, but now it's about networking. They teach you leadership skills, like how to market yourself, and it benefits charity. It's, um, like a bat mitzvah." Laurel got up laughing as she grabbed a bottle of wine.

"It is not like a bat mitzvah. There is nothing religious about a debutante ball."

"The whole deb scene is bullshit. It's for sheep. Yeah." Conrad spoke up.