08 - return the favor

Start from the beginning

Leaving her a even bigger question.

Why did Marc Spector let her live when his boss wanted her dead?

She adjusted the jacket to cover the bandage and crossing her arms. Then slouching further in her seat while chewing the inside of her mouth while she looked out the window.

"I don't know." She huffed.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Natasha questioned as her tone increased. "You're risking our mission on this guy you just met-"

"I told you. I don't know!" Alex yelled in frustration. "You have any better ideas of where to find Alexei, please share Ms. Romanoff. I'm open to any suggestions you might have."

Natasha shut her mouth with a clenched jaw as she breathed out shortly through her nose. Swallowing her comment.

"Oh nothing?" Alex mocked while Natasha remained quiet. "Well, then. The Seventh Circle prisons might be our best bet."

After letting of steam, Alex returned to watch the horizon, putting her elbow on the window sill and resting her head on her knuckles. The sun had gone down and the night sky took over. The sound of the tires cruising on the highway and passing by headlights on the road. The night sky illuminating the moon shining down on her while pondering the mystery of a mercenary.

"Did you two know that this is the first piece of clothing I ever bought for myself?" Yelena asked, interrupting the deadly silence in the car. Causing Alex to peak her head from behind the seat to see a dark green vest that Yelena was showing off.

Natasha scoffed with a small glance at her little sister. "That?"

Yelena titled her head and said. "Yeah, you don't like it?"

"Is that like an, army surplus?" Alex added, while Natasha looked back at her in the mirror once again, exchanging a chuckle with her as if the previous tension didn't exist. A small part of Alex wanted to think the Avenger wasn't as bad.

"Okay it has alot of pockets!" Yelena said in high defense. "But I used them all the time and I even made some of my own modifications."

Natasha chuckled again, mocking Yelena's obsession with a vest. Alex only shook her head before looking back out the window, not knowing Yelena was capable of being this humorous. Realizing how even a simple pure emotion of laughter was innocent. Something else taken away by Dreykov.

"Both of you shut up!" Yelena snapped with a hint of pain straining in her words. "The point is I've never had control over my own life before and now I do. I want to do things."

Speaking a truth that Alex barely thought of since being free. She could go explore the world instead of destroying it like she had been forced to do all these years. She could find that coffee shop in Florence and read fairytale without the demand of assassination.

Maybe, find a place of her own to settle down. Get a real job if possible for an ex-vigilante, and do normal people her age did.

"I like your vest." Natasha said, breaking the long moment of silence in the car.

"Ah! I knew it. I knew it!" Yelena held her hands up in fist, proud of making a point and approval. "It's so cool right? What about you Alexandra?"

Alex laughed, remaining in her seated position. "It's nice Belova." She confirmed with a grin.

Yelena exaggerated a nod as if she were a parrot, continuing to express her newest obsession. "And you can put so much stuff in there! You wouldn't even know!" She said, appreciating the joy found in a piece of clothing.