Chapter 4

On the day of the show, Taryn was a bundle of nerves. She tried to relax when she went to get her hair and makeup done. It felt nice to be pampered. When her appointment was over, she barely recognized herself. Her hair was piled on top of her head with a few ringlets hanging down. Her makeup accentuated her blue eyes and sharp cheek bones. She felt truly beautiful when she saw herself in the mirror.

Taryn was too nervous to eat anything before the opening. She rushed home and changed into her gown. She had to admit, she looked amazing compared to what she usually wore. The gown fit her perfectly and she felt like a debutante ready to go to a ball. She couldn't wait for Gideon to see her like this. Maybe he would ask her to dance. That would be like a dream come true.

When Taryn arrived at the gallery, the first thing she did was ask Kim if Charlie had heard from Gideon.

"He's supposed to be flying home tonight," Kim replied. "You look stunning, by the way."

Taryn looked down at herself, not used to receiving compliments.

"Thank you," she replied. "How are things going?"

"The musicians will start playing in about fifteen minutes," Kim replied. "Would you like a glass of wine?"

"No thanks," Taryn answered. "I haven't eaten much today and it will go straight to my head."

Kim shook her head.

"Come over and grab some appies," Kim said, pulling Taryn over to the food table. "You're going to need to keep up your strength."

Taryn sampled a few of the goodies.

"These are great, Kim," she said appreciatively. "You've done a great job getting this ready."

"Thanks. The guests should be arriving soon," Kim replied.

Taryn lost track of time once people started arriving. She made a point of talking to every individual so that she could answer questions and receive feedback on her work. Most of the feedback was positive so far.

Taryn kept her eye on the door for Gideon's arrival, but he was late. She hoped he would make it.

Gideon finally showed up near the end of the evening. And he wasn't alone. There was a woman with him. Taryn's heart sank.

Kim welcomed Gideon and his guest to the opening.

"Hi, Taryn," Gideon said, smiling. "This is my co-worker, Kate. She flew back from Toronto with me."

Taryn could tell that Kate wasn't too impressed with the exhibition.

"Nice to meet you," Taryn said politely, shaking Kate's hand lightly.

"Likewise," Kate sneered. "I hope you don't mind me showing up like this. When Gideon told me where he was going, I just had to see it for myself."

Taryn nodded, looking at Kate eye Gideon in his rumpled business suit. He looked tired.

"Thank you for coming," she said, looking into Gideon's eyes. "I know how tired you must be after your trip."

"The paintings are amazing," Gideon said, returning her smile. "I'm so glad I was able to make it."

Kate took Gideon's arm and said, "Why don't we take a closer look at the art?"

The way she said 'art' made it sound like it was weeds in a garden. Helplessly, Taryn could only watch as Kate let Gideon through the gallery.

"Don't worry about her," Kim said, coming to stand beside Taryn. "Gideon is just being polite."

Taryn nodded and went to talk to the few remaining guests.