Chapter 1 - Doortal

The amber sky enveloped the lush forest-the Sun had just risen. A swift rush of air frightened a flock of chirping mocking jays perched on one of the branches of a narra tree. It was Hanz. He had been hopping from tree to tree for what seemed like five minutes but he was already miles away from his starting point.

He stopped on the branch where the mocking jays were. As he looked behind him to see the scope of what he had just traversed-noticed the bushes shaking.

"Hmmm. Interesting..." He mumbled as he faced the sky and sniffed to scan the area. "Looks like I'm not the only one headed to the Tree." he said with a blank expression on his face. Ignoring the possibility that someone could be on his tail, he bolted.

After thirty more minutes of acrobatics, he arrived at his destination.

"It's been a long time since I've last seen this place." He took a huge breath in and let it out.

In front of him was The Balete Tree where he had spent most of his life. It was a huge tree that towered over every other tree in the vicinity. Vines hanging from its branches, leaves were brown which used to be green.

Hanz stared at one of the leaves that were barely clinging to the branch. He watched it get blown by the wind and as it fell to the ground.

"Weird." He was not talking about the leaf getting blown away by the wind but the fact that it was brown. He crouched down to reach the fallen leaf and took a closer look. "Never in my lifetime have I seen the Tree's leaves turn brown." He added.

As he was observing it, a crunching noise was heard from the bushes behind him. He stood up and scanned the area-looking around for whoever stepped on a dried branch.

He took one sniff into the air and...

"It's you," Hanz said as a shadowy figure appeared behind a small tree but as the clouds moved above, the stranger's face gradually came to light. No one moved or batted an eyelid. It was a stare-down. "I knew from the start that I wasn't alone... Carlo!"

"Damn! Do I really need to take a bath that badly?" Carlo said as he walked his way in front of Hanz and gestured to give him a high five.

"Yes, water the Tree while you're at it," Hanz replied after their palms met in the air.

"How I wish it was that easy. We all know that The Tree can flourish even in the harshest weather." Carlo paused, "this is so weird."

"Yeah... I know."

"Maybe that big-ass bird that lives nearby is pecking way too close to its roots," Carlo responded. "that googly-eyed bird..." He said with a touch of fear on his face. "Have you seen it?"

"I honestly don't know. I never came back to this place after we left." Hanz looked at Carlo's ears. They had grown since the last time he saw him. "Your ears..."

"I know, right? It's my ring-something's wrong with it. Even the distinct Kapre smell can't be hidden anymore." Carlo sighed.

"Huh." Hanz was baffled. First, the leaves turned brown then Carlo's ring not working as intended. "Gertrude said something about anomalies. I wonder if the malfunctioning of the rings is one of them."

"Anomalies?" Carlo shrugged in wonder.

"Nevermind. Can you tell me what's brought you here?"

"I can't tell you."

"Did Gertrude summon you?"

"Please... It's a secret." Carlo seemed helpless. He's trying so hard to not answer Hanz. He shook his head side-to-side while biting his lips.