Chapter 20

Edward settled in as the train departed Peterborough for London. He took advantage of the free wifi and made a video call to his parents.

"Oh, my God. Edward, is that really you? We have been worried sick since you have gone missing. Where are you?" his mother exclaimed.

"I am just leaving Peterborough on a train to London," Edward told her.

"You have been in Ontario for the past week?" his mother sounding confused.

"No, the U.K.," Edward corrected.

"How did you get there?" his mother inquired.

"Through a portal with Candace when I was at the morgue," Edward explained.

"Candace? A morgue? I am confused. Are you sure you are okay, Edward?"

"Candace, my sister. Mom, don't you remember the incident at the morgue?"

"Edward, you don't have a sister. You are an only child, but you have a daughter named Candace."

Edward stared blankly at the phone.

"Melanie and the kids have been shook-up since you went missing. You should call them as soon as we are done," his mother advised.

"Has Dad been running the theatre since I have been gone?" Edward queried.

"Honey, we sold the theatre over five years ago now. You have been working with an accounting firm since then," his mother pointed out.

Edward's mind raced as he stared into the distance.

"Honey, you look pale. Are you sure you are okay?" his mother grew more concerned.

"I am sorry, Mom, this is a lot to take in. I should probably call Melanie now," Edward suggested.

"Please check in with us again tomorrow as soon as you get the chance," his mother requested.

"I will, Mom. Please don't worry. I will be home soon," Edward comforted.

Edward nervously called Melanie.

"Edward! Edward! I can't tell you how glad I am to get your call."

"Melanie darling, I am so sorry I have you all worried. I am unsure what happened, but I will try to explain when I get home.

"Where are you, Edward?"

"I am in the U.K. and have a flight booked home in two weeks. I booked a room near the airport for the next two weeks. I will text the details." Edward explained.

"The girls will be so excited," Melanie remarked.

"I will also need my passport sent to the hotel so I can get on a flight home," Edward pointed out.

"I will mail it as soon as we finish this call. I can't wait to hug you again. I might never let you go again," Melanie teased.

"I feel the same. I can't wait to get home," Edward replied.

Two weeks seemed to drag on forever for Edward and his family. After a long flight and a long drive from the airport, Edward was relieved to be home.