Chapter 8

Caritas turned her head to the prisoner that called out to Candace.

"Another Wardale in Old Bailey. My dreams are coming true. What you in for? Debts? Treachery? False accusations? With luck, you will not survive here, or perhaps you will be taken by gaol fever after you leave."

"Stay away. I want no trouble from you," the prisoner offered.

"It is too late. Your sorceress, Mary, has already done her evil deeds for you," Caritas huffed as she pointed at Candace.

The prisoner looked at Candace with a bewildered look on his face.

"My name is not Mary," Candace stated.

The prisoner took a closer look.

"Now that you mention it, you are taller than my Mary, but the resemblance is remarkable."

"You are Mary's husband?" Candace asked.

"Yes, my name is Edward Wardale," The prisoner confirmed.

"My brother's name is Edward," Candace replied.

They shuffled along the lineup for food.

"What is the strange garment that you wear? What family are you from?" Edward queried.

"I am from Canada, the New World. I am a Wardale, too," Candace told him.

"I was not aware of any Wardales going to the New World. We are not a large clan. I am sure I would have heard of this," Edward had a wary tone.

"I could explain more later," Candace gave a side nod towards Caritas.

Edward acknowledged with a bow of his head and turned to step up to the food table as their turn came.

The food table was divided into two sections. Those that could pay got a better meal. Those who could not pay got a crusty piece of bread and a small piece of mystery meat. Those who were starving looked forward to whatever they could get.

"Good day Edward, fine gentleman, and what will ye be having today," the server slapped the food on a plate and handed it over.

"I see you have spared no expense on the fine steak and choice vegetables today," Edward grinned as he took the plate.

"Is that your missus with you today?" the server nodded toward Candace.

"No, that is a cousin visiting from the New World, Canada, she says," Edward replied.

"You don't say. Well, you better tell her to find some new dinner wear unless she wants to attract the Sheriff's attention," the server advised.

"Yes, yes. These are my thoughts as well. Thank you for your words of wisdom," Edward bowed his head slightly and smiled.

"Do you wish to pay for better grub?" the server asked Candace.

"I do not have any means to pay," Candace shrugged.

"Bread and meat it is, then, darling. A tip for you, soak the bread in water for a bit so that you don't break any of your teeth," the server offered.

Candace thanked the server, made her way to the common area, and sat beside Edward.

"I assume you have no idea of the routine here," Edward stated.

"Is it that obvious?" Candace blushed slightly.

"Visitors are allowed after breakfast. I am expecting Mary to visit today. Afterward, we are free to go outside and ask for donations to help with our cause, but we must be back before sundown," Edward explained.

"Asking for help? Do you mean begging in the street?" Candace's eyes were wide now.

"I prefer not to use the word beg," Edward groaned.

The jailer approached the common area.

"On your feet, you dirty scum, the sheriff is about to grace you with his presence," The jailer slammed his metal pole three times on the floor.