Chapter 56

[October 31, 2023]

Beatrice

Tonight the Devils have a huge charity Halloween party planned, and guess how many outfits I have planned? Zero, none. I haven't been able to find a single costume that Harry likes. He said it's just because Halloween isn't his thing, but I told him it meant a lot to me that he showed up with me, since I have to be there. After sending him costume after costume he finally agreed to one. It's a sailor and a mermaid, and luckily I have just the right clothes for this costume. 

I start getting ready with Devon, who is going as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz, pregaming as we do our makeup. I get kind of fun with my makeup, going for a glowy look with pearls and sparkles. Devon does an elevated version of her everyday makeup, adding a few extra freckles and topping it off with a red lip. 

"We look good!" she yells, asking me to pose beside her so we could send Jamie and Trevor a picture of us. I ask her if Trevor has talked her ear off about his new crush Lila, and I swear her eye starts twitching. "Oh you mean does he ever stop talking about her? He will barge into Jamie's room if he hears the phone ringing sound just to update me on her," she laughs, taking a shot before our Uber pulls up. 

I grab my digital and Polaroid camera, waiting for Devon to pull away from Ringo. "Be good my sweetie boy," I say right as I get the notification that our Uber is outside. Devon grabs my hand, pulling me out of my apartment in a fit of giggles. Seems like the alcohol is already kicking in for her. I lock the door, running my finger over my apartment number feeling a bit nostalgic over how a year ago yesterday I saw those numbers for the first time. 

So much has changed since my first day in Newark and I couldn't be more grateful for all the experiences this city has gifted me. I get into the backseat of the car, closing it as we sit as quietly as we can until we get to where we're hosting this event. "Thank you," we giggle as he drops us off in front of a very spooky-looking trail with a few volunteers hanging out candy for any kids. 

There's a fog machine outside of the building and orange and purple lights lighting up the cement pathway. Once we're inside we hand in our raffle tickets to two ladies in witch hats at a table to maybe win a prize tonight.

Bea

text me when you're here and I'll come get you!

Harry💕💋🎞️ 

will do, can't wait to see you ❤️ 

Bea

right back at you<33

I put my phone back in one of the pockets in my skirt, taking pictures of the room, getting a few cute photos of the guys, laughing at their creative costumes. Dougie and Dawson are dressed as Pitbull, I think. There are a few guys dressed up as minions, and smurfs, and Nico is dressed as a scarecrow. "Oh there's Nic, Jamie asked him to dress up with me since he can't be here," she says, running over to him. I reach for my camera getting good shots of them hugging before they pose together. 

"Now one for Jams," I yell pulling my phone out to take a few pictures of them before getting the text that Harry is walking up. I hold a finger up to them, excusing myself as I run to the door to meet with Harry. From the minute he opens the door I wrap my arms around his neck, very excited to see him. "Hi handsome," I giggle, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "Hi baby," he chuckles.

I walk him over to my friends, letting them greet each other. Nico gives Harry a soft smile along with a bro hug while Devon just waves at him. I ask Devon to take a few photos of us before all the sweat from running around ruins my outfit. I pose with Harry trying to get a cute off guard picture because this man has no idea how to be in front of a camera.