Chapter 48

[August 15, 2023]

Beatrice

Today, I wake up alone. Well, obviously Ringo is here, but you know what I mean. My friends have gone home for work purposes, and I'm in my hotel room by myself. Dorothea left a week after her birthday, and Devon left a few days ago. She got a sudden call at night that said they needed her earlier than expected, so she had to pack up her things and go. 

I didn't get that call so I stayed. I told her I'd see her soon, and told myself I was going to use up my last week to soak up all the time I could with my Mom. I fight my Post Devon Depression and get out of bed to see if there's anything I can do to spend time with my Mom. I just miss my companion, my best friend, my pal, but I'll see her soon and I'll have to leave my Mom soon. 

I run down the stairs and see her at the front desk. "Morning," I kiss the side of her head, hugging her from the side. "Good Morning, my girl," she hugs me back giving the customer their key, then pulling a chair up beside her. Aunt Cami runs out of the kitchen bringing me some fresh pancakes and a side of strawberries. I'm going to miss her.

Aunt Cami is like a cat or dog with zoomies, constantly running around, bumping into things, and surprising everyone around her. You never know what you're going to get with her, and I love it. I finish up some pancakes, helping her at the front desk. "Bea, go to the beach or something dear, why are you up here with me, go enjoy your last few days in Greece," she urges me. 

"No, I am perfectly fine here," I say, holding onto my seat as she tries to push me off of it. "Beatrice," she says, narrowing her eyes at me, trying to see through me as if she can't read me based off of my aura. "I just want to spend more time with you," I tell her, slumping against her, groaning at the fact that this is my last week here. 

I feel her body physically sigh, her fingers running through my wavy hair, brushing it away from my face as she says, "What do you say I call one of our employees in and call off for your last few days here," I launch out of her lap, pushing my hair out of my face as I say, "Really?" 

She nods slowly, grabbing her phone to call in a sweet girl named Marcella, to take over. She was really understanding about it and left us to go change into some beachy clothes. I meet her at the entrance, linking my arm with hers as I follow her lead, letting her take me wherever she wants to go. After a few minutes of just walking around we finally get to our destination.

"Wine tasting?" I giggle, looking at the candle-lit pathway with lights hanging in the trees. "Yes, of course, we haven't drank together," she says, making me tilt my head to the side questioning my mother's memory. "Yes, we have," I remind her as she takes my hand running down the path as she yells, "Not enough!" Well alright, I'll never turn down a drink. 

We get seated by the water, mentally thanking my Mom for being so friendly with everyone here because it pays off. Not only does she have friends everywhere she goes, but they pull in little favors for her. I'm a fairly kind person, but she's my motivation to be kind to everyone around me. You never know what a person is going through, a little kindness goes a long way. 

"Are you ready to go back?" she breaks me out of my trance. I shake my head, no, I'm not ready to not be near her anymore. She's brought so much sunshine into my life, Greece doesn't hold a candle to the energy she radiates. Our waiter brings us some wine that was specially made in their restaurant, we thank the kind man before getting to gossiping.

We lean in, scooting our chairs closer to one another. This is another one of the perks my Mom gained from befriending everyone in town. She gets gossip from everyone. "What about you though? No guys here catching your eye?" I ask, nudging her softly before sipping my wine. Mom does a full-body sigh, shaking her head with her lips pushed to the side.