Chapter 77

The following day, he requests a carrier bird at the inn's station. The father sighs and says it may take a couple days. When Bedivere questions this, he informs a heady amount of birds deserted the city regardless of employment benefits. A realization comes through. "Is that why the cost of this place is astronomical?"

"Yes. The economy is suffering."

"But you will see to the carrier bird?"

"Are you comfortable with a rat?"

"Yes that will do." The Grizzly village is a blight on the map. Nonetheless, he needs to update Gerran. He will find a way to secure the letter.

He and Xirna circle the foods they wants and he returns to the station later. The daughter is there and gives him a bright smile despite her ailment.

"Is there a cure for the blots?"

"Yes, but my father will receive it first."

"That is good of you."

"Yeah, well, maybe I will change my mind. He wants me to get out of here."

He does not know what to say. Nothing feels sufficient. "The kitchen will prepare your meals now," she assures him.

Xirna admires the fact that the food does not taste like constipated filth, in her terms. He nibbles the eggs and bacons, admiring the fact too.

She reasons that as interesting their lodging is, they have to explore, find a pocket of civilization, a fisherman, something. "They need to hear you sing."

"Why do we not march straight to the capitol?"

"Because we are not ready. We are still low class, no acclaim."

Arguing is often useless, but he leans in. "How are we to stake a claim here?"

"Craftiness." She finishes her oatmeal, slurping at the spoon like the cheap brown sugar is opulent candy.

Counting on blind hope, they scout for villagers. The land is expansive, so Xirna holds onto Bedivere and flaps her wings to soar into the air. The year in Nirmanda has made her strong by way of working out with Saber and Hespero. Tucked in her arms, Bedivere cheers as he if he were flying himself. Once she spots fairies below, she warns him that she must start the descent. She braces her shoulder blades together and transports them to the ground. Bedivere manages not to vomit, knees wobbling.

"Oooh. People," she says. He follows her gaze. They are females, rinsing some linens in a stream. When they near the fairies, Bedivere spots the same boils. One's face spills with pus.

"Excuse me," the eldest says.

"I apologize miss." Bedivere shields himself and silently pushes Xirna to weave control.

"Hello. I am Xirna and this is my lover Bedivere. We are new to this region and we want to enrich ourselves with your way of life."

The fairie with a yellow headband in her hair snorts.

"Pleased to meet you. May we know your names?" He says.

"Are you visiting or staying?"

"Visiting."

"Then beat off."

"Come on you two. Do not be this way." The nymph smiles her dazzling smile. "My partner is a phenomenal singer, you know."

"Truly?" the eldest asks. "Sing."

Bedivere curses but begins on cue. He sings a tongue in cheek ballad and once he is through, the females are in tears.

"You must sing for my parents," the one with the headband says. Before the pair can object, their new friends yank them by the hands and tug them toward a cottage.