Chapter Twenty-Five: Devil In Disguise

"So did anybody actually see when Vitruvius decided to disappear on us?"

Lucy glanced back at the pop and hiss of a flare being fired, tilting her head as she puzzled out its existence. "Oh," she said upon realization. The others had paused to stare as well.

"Ye think that be the signal?"

Lucy nodded. "We better hurry, that'll have gotten their attention as well."

"Aye. Climb on, and hold tight!" Once he was certain his three human friends had a good grip on his frame, Metalbeard sprinted through the city, Unikitty galloping along at his side. It wasn't long before they heard angry voices- it sounded like Airheart had guessed what they were up to. Lucy carefully climbed across Metalbeard's shoulders, pulling out Bad Cop's gun and taking aim.

Airheart shrieked a furious curse as she fell, stunned, but Flea was quick to catch her and haul her onto his back, barely breaking pace in their race to reach the ship. "Whoa, look at that!" Emmet gasped, pointing ahead. Lucy turned to see a strange cross between a spaceship and a sea ship hovering above the water, easily three times the size of Benny's battleship. It was a beautiful thing of wood and brass, with sturdy wood and canvas wings sprouting from its sides, and a glass and metal cockpit set slightly further back from the middle of the ship. The ramp was lowered to allow them entry, and Benny was sitting in the cockpit with the canopy open, wearing Bad Cop's sunglasses and a huge grin.

"Get in losers, we're going home!"

Bad Cop looked over at him from the copilot's seat. "Alright you said it, can I have them back now?"

"Where the heck did Benny learn memes from??" Business gaped. "I didn't know he'd even figured out the internet yet!"

"Uh, that's kinda my fault," Emmet admitted.

A shot pinged off the side of the ship, causing them to flinch. Lucy turned back to return fire, stunning a few of the sky pirates before Metalbeard ran up the ramp to safety. Unikitty pushed the button to close it.

"Buckle up guys, this is gonna be a bumpy ride!" Benny called back. As the others obligingly strapped in, Metalbeard made his way up to the cockpit.

"What makes ye so sure we'll be able to get away this time?"

Benny and Bad Cop looked at each other, then back at the pirate captain, Benny with a grin. "Pirate's Cove," they said in unison.

~* *~

Airheart was fuming as Flea sprinted up the gangplank. "Don't you dare let them get back first!" she barked. "I should have known they'd be up to something-"

"On it, Cap'," Flea said, setting her down by the helm. He flipped the switch to start the engine...

...only for nothing to happen.

"What."

"Captain!" Roberts yelled as he raced back up from below deck, clutching a piece of paper in hand. "The engines are gone!" Flea let out a groan and facepalmed as Airheart seethed at the news. "We found this," he panted as he reached them, handing over the paper. She snatched it from him, feeling starting to return to her limbs, and glared down at it.

Decided to go for that career change after all. Thanks for the suggestion. -BC

"I'm going to murder that good-for-nothing cop!!" Airheart screamed in rage, crumpling the paper and chucking it at Roberts. He blinked as it bounced off his head. "Flea!! Shoot them right out of the sky, I want to see that thing in pieces!"