Chapter Three: Danny Boy

Bad Cop woke the next morning feeling... not exactly well rested, but more rested than he had all week. He showered and dressed before making his way to the kitchen for some coffee, and nearly sat on his guest before he recognized the blue-clad figure sprawled out on his couch, snoring away. He stared for a long minute, trying to wrap his as of yet uncaffeinated brain around this development. Had Benny really stayed all night, just to make sure he'd be okay?

He shook his head, unable to make heads or tails of the strange man, before the beeping of his coffee maker called him away. The noise pulled a snort from the astronaut, who then sat up, blinking blearily at his unfamiliar surroundings.

"...This isn't my apartment," he observed.

"No kidding," came Bad Cop's gruff voice, and Benny jumped, whirling to face him. "Coffee?" the cop offered.

"Ah, no thanks," Benny declined, grinning sheepishly. "Caffeine and I get on a little too well, you know?"

"...No, I don't," Bad Cop said at length, "But I'll take your word for it." He took a sip from the steaming mug himself. Benny blinked up at him as he realized something.

"You're not in uniform."

"How astute of you." When Benny pouted at him, he continued with, "Decided to take your advice."

"Oh!" The spaceman lit up like the sun. "Well that's good! I hope it helps." He patted his thighs, looking around the quiet apartment as Bad Cop drank more of his coffee. The silence was starting to get to him, and while words and comfort had come easily to him the night before, it just felt awkward now. "I guess I'll get out of your hair now, I mean you gotta pack and stuff and I'll just be in the way." He bounced to his feet, grinning. "Have fun on your vacation!" he burbled, and before Bad Cop could utter so much as a word, Benny had shown himself out. The cop could only stare after him and shake his head. Just when he thought he was starting to get the astronaut figured out...

Bad Cop pulled his cell phone out, hitting the speed dial number for his parents' house, feeling anxiety soaring the longer the phone rang. What would he say to them? Where would he even start? It had been so long since he and Good had really spoken to their parents, keeping their conversations brief and courteous, just enough to keep them from worrying while also keeping them safe from Business' schemes.

It hurt, to hear how surprised and thrilled they were that he'd actually called for once, and he felt like the worst son in the world for it. But he pushed himself through the conversation, telling them everything he'd told Benny the night before. His Mum let out a sob when her fears were confirmed, that Alastar truly was dead. They both remained silent as he continued talking, about what their job truly was, about how Business punished them when they failed to capture a Master Builder, that being forced to Kragle them had been their punishment for The Special escaping with the Piece of Resistance. That he'd been too weak to protect his brother, that Alastar was the strong one, for defying Business and standing up for what he knew was right, even at the cost of his life.

"Oh, sweetheart," his mother crooned into the phone, tone both sad and soothing, "come home."

He nearly lost his composure at those two words, relief flooding him that he still had a home to come to. "Yes, Mummy," he choked out, and they hung up. He closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths to get his wild emotions under control. It was harder, without Alastar's neutrality there to keep him grounded. He busied himself with packing, and it was only as he was locking his door that he realized the only vehicle he had now was his motorcycle. He glanced down at his suitcase, and gave a resigned sigh. Looked like he'd be taking a taxi.