Chapter Four: Karma

"I made something I think you'll like," was the first thing Amy said to him the next time she came to babysit. The first week she watched him and Bianca had been nothing short of exciting, and she'd even been willing to play Legos with him. There were no grand adventures as of yet, but Finn did like the twist she'd thought up for Bad Cop, and he couldn't wait to have him reveal it to his friends.

She reached into a pocket on her messenger bag and pulled out a pair of minifigures, explaining each of them as she handed them over. "This is Caesar," she said, placing one of the figures into his palm. "He's a pirate captain who's retired from sailing the seas, but not from collecting stories and causing mischief." He had dark skin, and a neatly trimmed white mustache and beard, with a wide-brimmed hat with the typical red plume in it, and a long red coat. Finn swore he saw a twinkle in the figure's black eyes, and didn't doubt one bit that he caused a lot of mischief. "And this is Airheart, an adventurous young pilot turned pirate of the skies."

"Like the lady pilot who disappeared one day?"

"Inspired by her, yeah, but she doesn't spell it the same."

The boy looked over the other figure, dressed almost like the stereotypical 1930s pilots, though her goggles were as decorative as they were functional. It took him a moment to realize she had painted on them, making them custom. An idea started to form in his mind, and Amy grinned to see the gears turning.

"You painted these?" he asked, looking back up at her.

"Yes."

"Could you..." He bit his lip, hesitant to ask whatever was on his mind. "Could you fix Good Cop?"

"Let's make an adventure of it," Amy said, "and you can consider him good as new."

The  number of phone calls Bad Cop received after that first one from Benny  increased exponentially

The number of phone calls Bad Cop received after that first one from Benny increased exponentially. Some were from the astronaut, a few from Unikitty, and even one from Lucy, but the majority of them were from Emmet. He chalked that one up to the young man simply being excited to finally have friends that actually paid attention to him, as none of Emmet's phone calls seemed to have any real purpose to them other than to gush about some new thing he'd learned, a new movie the others had shown him, any new experience, really, and he wanted to share them with the one friend who wasn't there to experience it with him. As exasperating as it was, he felt a growing fondness for the enthusiastic young man, and wondered if that was what it felt like to have a kid brother.

His parents' visits to his shop saw an increase in frequency as well, on the pretense of seeing how his project was coming along, or to leave a snack for him because he was "looking too thin still". Unlike his friends, who seemed to have no idea exactly what his condition was, his parents were worried. They had every right to be.

Exhaustion and weakness were catching up to him again as well, no matter how much he slept or how well he ate. Nightmares were also becoming a problem, as he couldn't afford the energy to continue blocking the residual memories of his missing half. A headache was settling in too, set off by the fluorescent lights of the shop. He sighed and decided to call it a night. He ran his fingers over the hood of the sleek black car he had just finished restoring, halfway wondering if he would ever get the chance to take it out on a test drive, before shutting off the lights and leaving the shop. Night had fallen fast, and even taking off his aviators didn't help him to see very far.