Chapter Nineteen: A Sailor's Prayer

It wasn't long after that they were allowed access to the bathing facilities. Feeling better after scrubbing off the blood, Business had claimed the entire bed for himself and promptly fell asleep. They were content to leave him be.

Benny dropped himself down at Bad Cop's side, hugging his knees as he sat in silence. Bad Cop glanced down at him, wondering what brought on this change; he'd seemed his usual perky self just a short time ago. "What's wrong?"

"I was really looking forward to building that spaceship," Benny pouted.

Bad Cop sighed. "I know you were," he said, giving the spaceman's shoulder a commiserating squeeze. As Benny continued to sit in sullen silence, an idea started to form. "...I think I know something that will cheer you up."

"What, more puns?"

Bad Cop seemed to deflate at that. "I thought you liked puns..."

Benny winced and backtracked. "I do, B, I just don't think they're gonna be enough of a distraction this time..."

"Well. I guess it's a good thing that wasn't my idea this time, then." Bad Cop got up and made his way over to the bedside, rooting through Business' jacket for his notebook and pen. Benny watched in bemusement as he returned with his stolen prize in hand, and leaned over to get a peek once he'd sat back down and started sketching. His eyes went wide once the sketches were far enough along for him to recognize what they were of.

"Oh my stars B, that's brilliant." He bounced eagerly. "Oh I can't wait!"

"Can't wait for what?" Emmet asked, coming back into the room. Bad Cop flipped the notebook shut.

"It's a surprise!" Benny giddily informed him.

Bad Cop chuckled. "Shush, Ben, you'll wake up Business."

"Right." He fell silent, but kept up his excited bouncing. Emmet gave him a wary look. A hyper Benny spelled trouble.

The door opened again, admitting Metalbeard and the girls. Emmet motioned for them to keep their voices down, gesturing at Business dozing on the bed. "I say he's got the right idea," Metalbeard said as quietly as he could manage.

"What do you mean?" Lucy asked.

"We ought to be takin' the opportunity to rest while we can. While that captain be repairin' her first mate, this be the safest we'll get."

"And how do we know they won't take advantage and try to off us in our sleep?" Metalbeard plunked himself down in front of the door and gave her a challenging stare. She shrugged. "Alright then."

There was some shuffling about as everyone made themselves as comfortable as possible. Unikitty curled up on the rug, Emmet and Lucy snuggled against her side. Benny scooted in closer and leaned against Bad Cop. He was still practically vibrating from excitement though, and not likely to rest any time soon. "Ben, would you calm down," Bad Cop sighed.

"I can't help it," the spaceman pouted.

"What be the matter, lad?"

"It's a surprise," Emmet answered for him. "I don't know what the surprise is, but he was awful excited about it when I got back."

Metalbeard sighed. "If I sing ye a song, will ye sleep then?"

Emmet looked intrigued at that. "You can sing?"

The cyborg shifted at that. "Well. I be no siren, but I can hold a tune, at least."

"Pleeeaaaaase," Benny begged.