Remembrance

Venti's POV

Once inside we're welcomed by the towering but broken spire that silently tells of its tragic story. Its chambers and halls are filled with memories and longing, as well as howling winds.

Shortly after we landed, Dvalin descends from beyond the high, grey layer of clouds and with a loud roar he throws the glove of battle.
Now that I know what lurks in this abandoned place, I have my guard high and the first thing I notice are the crystals on top of his body. His claws and jaws though are the ones who scares me the most. Not because they could really harm us, but because they are stained by the Black Rot. Which means if he touches one of us once with those, we're doomed. If anything escapes from his jaws and touches them, it gets infected as well and we're finished.

I have to carry this battle. I cannot let the Traveller and the others go near Dvalin. I think as I summon my bow and aim at my old friend. "Everyone, keep your feet moving! Stopping will sign our defeat!" I shout as my team engage in a fighting stance.

As the dragon takes flight, the countdown starts. The mighty beast disappears from view, then swoops through the center of the platform and we thankfully dodge it in time to avoid injuries.
As he flies above us like a volture, I keep shooting arrows, hoping to bring him close enough for us to at least break the crystals and let the Traveller handle the purification.
I do not know if his powers from far lands will be effective even on the Black Rot, but that can be solved in a second moment. First the crystals that amplifiy the effect of that curse, and we all saw the Traveller will win if we give him a chance to act.

Easier said than done tough.
Dvalin suddenly lands, shaking the whole platform and unleashes a powerful breath, slowly moving to the sides.
And this is where my fears turn into nightmares. As I suspected, the breath that came in contanct with his teeth, is now a lethal weapon and while this is a very slow attack, the littlest exposure to it will ensure certain death.

"Stand back!" I command while I aim at the dragon's talons that are luckily exposed during this time. I don't have time to cock another hit that I see him raising his head and his jaws opening as the gates of hell. "Watch out!!"

A scenario where my dear friends will be hit flashes in front of my eyes, and moves my body to shield them. Move all of them will be too slow, I have no choice. Before Dvalin could bite them, I use my powers to gather as much wind as needed to basically punch him to the nearby platform, giving my knights a safe zone.

"Are you alright?" I ask making sure they have not even a scratch. And despite they are uninjured and anxious, they get worried for me. How silly of you. I chuckle with my inner self, trying to ignore the fact that I don't see a way out of here. Or at least, not until I get serious.

Upon hearing Dvalin's pissed growl, we all step back a few inches while we watch him go higher to unleash one of his elemental attacks. Therefore I take his charging as a moment to collect myself.
After a long, deep breath, I take off my hat and copy Jala's landing position. My free hand holds my body weight, one knee on the ground to keep me stable, one decision only ahead of me.

"Heroes of Mondstadt, vow to never narrate what will happen from now on." I change my tone so I make sure they know that now is not Venti who speaks but their god Barbatos. "If you wish your freedom back, vow it."

"What's wrong with you, tonedeaf-" I shut Paimon up by raising my voice a tiny bit, urging my knights to take a decision immediately.

"I vow!" they respond to my request in unison and now I have my green card to show myself to them just in time.

Light greeen symbols appear on the back of my hands, white wings spring open and I feel my skin being marked by my powers. Dvalin though doesn't leave me the time to do what I wish, so he accellerates his plans too, ending up in unleashing a rain of bombs to attack the platform we're standing on and adjacent. The affected ones, become cracked, leaving with no room to flee, nor hide.