Chapter 6

don't blame me

MAYA WAS ON SHIFT AND SO FAR it had been pretty quiet

She looked at her watch.

1:44 pm

Just then the call alarm blared pulling her out of her thoughts.

"Wellness check at 9241 13th Ave, aid car,"

"That's us," Jack shouted to her from the other side of the kitchen.

●∘◦❀◦∘●

THEY WERE NOW ON THEIR way to the given address as more information on the call came through the radio.

"Neighbour across the street called. Says it's a single dad with three kids 11, 3 and 1. He usually sees the kids leaving for school every day and coming home and hasn't for about a week. He said he also talks to the dad regularly and hasn't seen him for a while either. He tried knocking on the door with no answer,"

"Okay thank you" Gibson replies as Maya was driving.

"What do you think?" she asked him.

"I have no idea, best case they went on holiday and forgot to tell their neighbour,"

"Worst?"

"I don't even want to go there."

"Well, we are here so I guess we will find out soon enough,"

They got out of the van and grabbed the basic med bag out of the back and headed to the front door. They knocked on the door a few times without an answer. Maya looked through the window trying to find anything that might give them an answer as to what was going on.

"Maybe they just went away, there isn't a car," Gibson said walking around the side of the house and down the driveway.

"Or maybe they just don't have a car," Bishop shouted going around the other side of the house.

Maya looked through one of the windows and could see that there is a tv on in the living room.

"See, who would leave the telly on if they were going on vacation hmm?" Maya bragged to prove her point that she was right.

"Okay, so why is no one answering the door then?" Jack asked as they met at the back of the house.

"That's why," Maya said pointing to the unconscious person on the floor face down in the kitchen.

"Go check all windows and doors, Gibson,"

They met back at the front of the house and shook their heads at each other signalling no luck.

"Everything is locked,"

"Luitenant Bishop here we are at the well-being check and there is a male unconscious in his house and we have no way of entry," Maya said into her radio.