Chapter 5

cruel summer

*TW* abuse

IT WAS ABOUT HALF PAST TEN and Amelia teaching Sadie how to play snap!

Jonah and Lydia were napping with a nurse in another room because Alex said he had a surprise for her. But he had left around twenty minutes before and still hadn't come back.

As if someone had read her mind there was a knock at the door. Sadie looked to Amelia and she shrugged.

"Come in" she exclaimed. The door swung open to reveal a blonde woman. She was probably late twenties/early thirties but she seemed extremely familiar to Sadie. That's when it clicked. Her conversation with Alex, the photos in her memory box "Aunt Maya?"

"You got it kiddo!" She replied confirming Sadie's suspicions. She went to jump off the bed to hug her but Alex anticipated the action and before she could pull the stunt...

"Don't even think about it Princess" He shot her a warning glare which quickly softened into a smile. "You are still healing you need to take it easy."

"I'll come to you shall I? Don't want Uncle Alex shouting at us do we" Maya joked. Alex put on a false hurt expression as if he had just had some life ending insult thrown at him. Maya made her way over to Sadie and pulled her into a gentle but comforting hug.

They stayed like that for a minute. Sadie enjoyed her presence. She made her feel safe. Of course she had Alex. Uncle Alex saved me. But her dad cemented a fear of men deep within which she was working through but hadn't entirely gone. Sadie loved Alex with all of her heart. She did feel safe with him but part of her couldn't help but remember what the last man who said he loved her did to her.

"Hey, are you okay?" Alex asked.

She went to look at him but Maya spun her back to face her and wiped the tears, that Sadie didn't even know were there, from her hot cheeks before placing a gentle kiss on her forehead and turning her to face Alex once again.

"All good," she said with a smile as Maya sat on the bed and Sadie snuggled up to her.

"Okay well, I'm gonna go find Jo and leave you two to catch up. I love you Princess" Alex told her with a loving smile.

" I love you too Uncle Alex. Will you check on the kids, please? I haven't seen them all morning" Sadie asked him already knowing he would happily say yes.

"Of course, I can even bring them by to meet Maya if you would like?" Alex offered.

"Definitely, but not yet" she replied wanting some time with Maya by herself to ask questions and get to know her.

"Okay, Princess. See you guys later." And with that Alex was out the door and Maya and Sadie were left in a comfortable but short lived silence.

●∘◦❀◦∘●