Chapter 20

Ever since that chaotic day, I and Emily both agreed to not go out at the same time ever again. We would always tell our plans ahead of time, and would schedule our day in a way so that we were as separated as we could. Despite all the effort we went through, I still find my mind distracted by her words. What she talked about, what she was interested in, everything she said, everything she felt.

I found myself wanting to know everything about her. I didn't get what was going on, I failed to understand. Every little thing about her, I want to know.

Days passed within the blink of an eye. Evenings felt more fun now that I could spend it with Emily. Unfortunately, to reach those evenings, I need to go through the day first, where I need to act with Emily in mind. Emily's comfort, her presence, was at the forefront of my mind. It was probably the same for her. Living in the outside world while being glued together with someone wasn't fun.

Unfortunately, that was the reality we needed to live with.

The calendar on my phone showed the date, the seventh of November. Birds chirped in the distance, their sound audible from my balcony. Wet puddles were scattered along the road stretching beside my apartment. Luckily for me, the rain had stopped. I checked my schedule for the day. Thursdays were relatively busy when compared to some other days. In the morning, we had a two-hour art history class, while in the afternoon we had a three-hour class related to storytelling through the visual medium.

History was a hard subject for me, but not because I hated it. I struggle to get the years right. I could remember the names of people, but not the years and eras. Seeing me looking out my balcony, Emily let out a snicker. I glanced her way.

"What was that for?"

"I hope you remember everything I taught you last night."

She said with a smirk, hidden behind her hand. It was embarrassing to admit, but I asked for her help with some lessons. Being the history buff she was, I had asked her for help in studying for a quiz today. Quizzes, unlike exams in high school, tend to have less effect on the overall score for the subject. But, since I have a choice, I would rather not take it lightly. Thus I roped Emily into my subject which was totally unrelated to hers. It did look funny seeing just how excited she seemed to learn history, despite the subject being entirely unrelated to hers.

As usual, she was already prepared for university. She wore a navy blue buttoned shirt with long sleeves, combining them with long black pants, making a very formal look. She returned to her bed and turned away, allowing me to start my morning routine. Not wanting to keep her waiting, I jogged toward the bathroom to take a shower. After showering, I immediately changed into my outdoor clothes, and only after then, I did all my other routines. It has been a habit for both of us to prioritize certain activities before others thanks to our circumstances.

Seeing me already wearing my outfit, she decided to depart early. I ate my breakfast which consisted of a simple cereal and milk combination as she made her way to university.

And yes, I'm a part of the cereal before milk team.

As I enjoyed my meal, my mind wandered off. I start reminding myself of all the things I learned last night with Emily.

Being friends with a history buff really does have its perks.

I could only imagine how different my high school life would have been had we stayed in contact. Would she help me with studying as well? She probably would, although I have doubts in my ability to understand everything.

"Emily, why didn't you go for something related to history instead?"

I asked. Emily looked around her, probably making sure that no one was within hearing distance of her, and remained silent. A few seconds later, she finally replied.