Chapter 6

"Wait, are you asking me out?" Shock, yet kind of flattered, as I question Xavier. I can see a tint of redness on his cheeks. He scratches the back of his neck, looking anywhere but me.

"Well.. Uhm.. Yes." He finally looks at me, waiting for my response. I wait him out a bit, wanting to see his reaction. "You can bring Claire if you want, knowing that she was the one who wanted to go and had to drag you along." Rapidly saying when realizing that I haven't answer his question.

"Why do you want a geek like me to go to a party when a popular boy like you can take whoever he wishes?"

"Because I want to go with you.."

"But why?"

I watch him, as he looks as though he is thinking of an answer. I just don't get it. A high school minority being ask out from a high school royalty. Why is he interested in me? Shouldn't he loath me like the rest of them?

"Honestly, I don't know why, but I find you interesting."

"I'm confuse. Last year, you didn't even know me, yet you still torment me. You never did anything harmful, like the rest of them, but you still participated. You watch me fall and crumble whenever your egotistical, ignorant dickheads push me around, kicking my books when I'm on the floor, throwing me things, calling me names, dunking my head into toilet bowls. So, why should I 'accompany' you to this party, when I don't want to go and be surrounded with people that I'm not nor will I ever be?"

I can feel my anger, being awaken at the moment. He thinks that he can ask me out, knowing that he, as well, is just like his buddies. But then again, what is his reason for bullying me? It clearly shows that Nolan didn't say any word to them about our little moment back in freshmen year. Wondering his reasons, I was about to ask him, but bell rings for lunch.

Sighing, he gets up from his chair. "Look, I have a meeting for football. Season is starting soon. Let me know your answer as soon as possible. Here's my number." He, then, takes out a paper from his pocket (I don't know why he has paper in his pocket), writing down his number. "I would really like for you to come with me." He walks out, leaving me to sit and ponder about his question.

***************

Throughout the day, my mind was about Xavier and his question. Everything about him confuses me: his reasons of bullying me, his sexual preference (is he gay or something?), and so much more. During lunch, Claire kept blabbering about some freshmen who played a trick on her, not knowing that I'm not paying attention. Nolan had been awfully quiet during 3rd and 4th. Usually, he'll talk to one of the guys or flirts with the junior girls, but today, he just sat and stared blankly to his desk. Today, I get a day off from work. This morning I called in, explaining to my boss my incident last night after my shift. She was grateful enough to give me a day off. When the bell rang, I waited for Claire by her car. She offered to drive me to my work, so I can pick up my car. I've decided to take Maddie out to the park and to the ice cream parlor. Last week, I received my paycheck and the money leftover from paying the bills and such, I would treat my baby sis and have a brother-sister bonding time.

Currently eating my chocolate chip covered vanilla ice cream, while Maddie is waiting for hers to be finish. She asked if we can watch a movie after this, wanting to see that new Disney movie "Inside Out." I secretly want to watch it, knowing that I found it fascinating when I saw it on tv at work last week.

"What do you got there, Mads?" I ask as she sits down, happily, with her ice cream cone. "Chocolate with sprinkles on top. I'm glad we get to bond like we used to. Ever since.."

"I know, Mads. But I'm taking care of both of us. School and work. I'm sorry I didn't make time for you, but now that I have a day off, we get to spend quality time together." Smiling, she continues eating her ice cream as I eat mine. "How was school?"