Chapter VI: She Doesn't Understand

"Did you think you could leave, by yourself, with the belief that I would not notice?" The voice of his sister floated into his head.

Legolas felt his anger rise. How dare she try and shame him for not telling her something! Did she not just keep him thoroughly in the dark about what happened in the interrogation? At least he had a good reason for not sharing his reason for leaving.

"I didn't tell you about the interrogation because I am still trying to figure out that it is what I suspect. I pray to Eru that I am wrong. But if I am not, and He has come henceforth, out of the darkness, then I will disclose who it is."

Lothel's words did little to soothe him. It felt like she was lecturing him, just as she always did, rather than loving advice from an older sibling. She was rarely home, yet she decided she would control what information he did and didn't hear, where he could go, and talked down to him. The prince doubted she realized how much sorrow he had experienced since her sojourns out of Mirkwood and how he had matured from that pain. All without her present in his life.

Legolas responded by mentally blocking his sister out. His only concern was Tauriel and her leaving the Woodland Realm on her lonesome. The secrets of the princess were for him to worry about.