- Let us Begin -

Unknown

   Darkness.
   Pure and consistent.
   Something rarely found in this world and yet here it is in front of me, solid and sure. All the muscles of my body are active, my nerves tingling from my fingers to the tips of my toes. Yet, I cannot move. Not an inch.
   The hair on the back of my neck itches and prickles as if someone is watching. I feel thousands of eyes gazing into my soul but there is nothing here. Nothing but open space.
   A voice fills my head in a sudden way, as if my thoughts are not my own anymore. It booms through space and time, rumbling my eardrums in such a way I fear I may never hear again.

"Welcome to Double Life"
"A TV Series devised for your entertainment"
"We have fourteen contestants all volunteers from across all districts of the City. Eligible singles and fit young people ready to test the strength of love through a process called Soulbinding"

What is this voice. It sounds strangely mechanic and controlling. My eyes are watering with strain at the darkness as they try to see even a glimpse of light.

"The Thread is a thin yarn-like beam of shimmering light connecting the left ring fingers of those our scientists have expertly chosen as being perfect for one another."
"Two people connected by The Thread, only visible to viewers like you."

   My left arm suddenly feels like it is being grabbed and I open my mouth to scream, only to realize it is covered by a sort of metallic mask. I can feel a small string being expertly tied around my ring finger. Am I one of the fourteen? I must be. How could I have volunteered if I do not remember anything?

"We as viewers will watch these contestants fight for their lives and for their loves. For friends and for new-found family. We will root for those who win and cry for those who die."
"So sit back, relax, and enjoy the show."

   My arms are suddenly grabbed by harsh mechanical arms and my mouth opens in a silent scream as I am shoved into a hard metallic box pressing in on all sides. I hear an engine start and suddenly light pours into my box from pinprick holes in the top. Before I can investigate a sharp pain spread from my temples to my forehead and my vision goes black once again, my body slowly disabling and losing consciousness.

"Brought to you in association with Barge Co., Sahara Inc., MCC Inc., and more."
"Also brought to you through partnership between Hermit Inc. and Empires Co."

___________________________________________

   My eyes open to find blue sky. Blue sky and fluffy white wisps of cloud floating through the atmosphere. I hear groaning beside me and I realize. There is no box. There is no darkness. There is no ache in my temples and no feeling of string on my finger.
   Instead there is grass against my back. Wind blowing my hair against my forehead and ears. But most of all. I am not alone. I hear a groan beside me and feel a body move no more than an inch from my arm before a man comes into view. He looks scared, his eyes wide and his blue hair unkempt. His eyes drift downwards and meet mine they are a deep brown, similar to molasses, moving in what I assume to be the morning light.
   I blink for a moment before pushing myself up, never breaking eye contact with the man as my face approaches his height but never meets it. Why did I have to be so short?
   I break my eyes away from the blue haired man letting my eyes gaze fall around the clearing we had woken in. There are people all around the clearing forming a sort of circle and yet all thrown in and amongst one another. Two men across the way are bickering with one another after one woke on top of the other. I look over towards the blue haired man raising my hand in a sort of wave.
"Hey, um my name's Jimmy, what's yours?" The blue haired man looks towards me, a smile appearing on his worried face.
"Nice to meet you Jimmy, I'm Scott, did you have the weird dream too?" My eyes widen and a smile spreads across my face, maybe I wasn't the only one. But was it a dream? It seemed too real.
"The one where I was manhandled and shoved into a box too small for my body? Yes." Scott laughs and lets out a small sigh of relief, his shoulders straightening slightly.
"Thank god I wasn't the only"— he didn't finish. We are all suddenly on our feet, my legs moving of their own accord. I can see Scott's face shift from slight worry to terror. A young man, small in stature, walks into the center of our now perfect circle. His arms seem strong and his hands hold the callouses of a builder harsh and tough. He has a shaggy drift of dirty blonde hair on his head and the shaving of the back reminds me a bit of mother's waffles, golden brown and delicious. I cannot seem to operate my own body, my mouth is clamped firmly shut and my arms are frozen at my sides. Everyone that I can see is in the exact same position as me, their arms at their sides and their eyes directly following the movements of the smaller man.