Family Homophobia

Start from the beginning

Your brother had always accepted you, since he had grown up in the same generation as you. He was the first one to know about Hailee and he had already met her previously at a party you went to. Your brother attended the same party since the two of you were so close in age.

As you sat down at the table, your knee bounced uncontrollably as you waited for your parents to serve the food. Hailee placed her hand gently on your knee, helping you calm down.

"So, Hailee... you like pasta right?" You father brought over the bowl of pasta as your mother carried another bowl over with the mince.

"Yeah, of course I do! It's one of my favorite dishes, what's your favorite dish?" Hailee was now sucked into the unbearable small talk with your parents.

You had a bad feeling about this. A very bad feeling. You could see that your mother was already struggling. You saw the flash of disgust as she walked back to the counter to collect the parmesan cheese she had forgotten.
You knew this was going to go south eventually.

"Well, mine would probably be something basic- a steak perhaps. Can't go wrong with a steak" Your father took a seat at the head of the table.

You were actually proud of your father. You knew he wasn't a fan of the community but he always tried to understand it. He still tried to show his love for you. It was your mother who needed the convincing.

"I love steak! I like my medium rare though..." Hailee explained with caution.

"That's how I like mine," Your father smiled, as he placed small pasta from the bowl into his plate.

"There you go, you both already have something in common," You tried easing your tension by contributing to the conversation.

"Yeah-" Hailee giggled a little before collecting her proportion of pasta and mince.

As Hailee spoke, it seemed to be drowned out by the beating in your chest as you watched your mother sit on the other head of the table, next to you. You saw the way she looked at you, it was the same way she glared at you the day you spoke the words... 'I like women.'

The dinner seemed to be running smoothly, apart from the fact your mother had barely touched her food or spoken.
Your brother was trying to ease the awkwardness, same with your father.

"So... Hailee, why do you like my daughter?" Your mother unexpectedly spoke.

Your eyes shot up from your food in worry and surprise. Was she being genuine... Did she actually care?

"I feel seen when I'm with her. I feel like You understand." Hailee expresses.

You watch your mum's expression change as she looks back and forth between you both.

"Is your mother in the picture?" Your mother asked, leaning in intently.

"-Mom!" You said in shock.

"It's okay, You. No she's not... she left a while back. Just me and my father, and I'm okay with that," Hailee opened up.

"Oh, so you have no mother and you're gay-" Your mother spits out.

Everyone at the table fell silent. Your father sat back uncomfortable and your brother continued eating, unsure what to do.

"Mum, stop." You whispered.
"No. All I'm saying is that it makes sense that Hailee is gay. She doesn't have a mother figure in her life. I'm just trying to understand how you turned out like women, when you have me?" Your mother spoke passive aggressively.

You looked at her in disbelief.

"Seriously Y/n. I've tried to be nice but I can't...what are you doing with that girl?" she said, her voice full of disdain. "Don't you know that being a lesbian is against the Bible?"

You felt your face flush with anger. You couldn't believe that your own mother would say something like that to you, then again, a part of you did. "Well, she's my girlfriend," You said, trying to keep your cool.

"I don't care who she is," your mother scoffed. "Being a lesbian is a sin. You should be ashamed of yourself."

Hailee was appalled by your mother's words. She had never really experienced anything like this before. "How can you say that to your own daughter?" she asked.

"Because I'm trying to save her from the path of sin," your mother replied. "This is not the natural way."

You were devastated. You had always known that your mother had trouble accepting your sexuality, but you had never thought it would come to this.

Meanwhile, Hailee felt angry and frustrated. She couldn't believe that in this day and age, people were still experiencing homophobia from their own family members. She had felt it for her self but it was different when it came to family. Family was supposed to be the ones protecting you... loving you

At your mother's words you felt your heart sink. You had been hoping that your mother would eventually come to terms with your sexuality, but it seemed like that day would never come.

Hailee was outraged by your mother's comments. "We're in love, and that should be all that matters."

Your mother shook her head. "I didn't raise you to be like this," she said to you, ignoring Hailee's comment. "This isn't natural."

Hailee snapped. "Who are you to dictate what's natural and what's not?" she yelled. "Love is love, and no one has the right to judge that."

The evening descended into chaos as the two women continued to argue, their voices growing louder and more heated with each passing minute. You felt a lump form in your throat as you watched your mother's reaction to your relationship with Hailee.

Eventually, your mother stood up from the table, her face red with anger. "I refuse to accept this lifestyle," she stated, before storming off to her room.

You and Hailee finished your meal in silence, feeling a sense of sadness washing over them.

As both of you and Hailee decided to leave, your father said his goodbyes and your brother apologized on your mothers behalf for her release behavior.

You drove Hailee home in silence. You weren't sure what to say to her.

"Y/n-" Hailee started, before you abruptly cut her off.

"No, I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry for her. That was disgusting. You don't deserve this..." You worried that Hailee's inner homophobia might come back after tonight.

"It's okay baby. I knew what I was walking into. I'm sorry about your mother. You deserve so much love and support." Hailee shifted her body to look at you.

"She's never going to change, I've accepted that. You know I love you right..." You whispered in the cold winter air that consumed your car.

"I know. Just so you know, I can read your mind." Hailee smiled a little, brushing a strand of hair from your face.

"Oh yeah? What am I thinking right now?" You asked, acting mysteries.

Hailee just offered a smile, before undoing her seatbelt and opening the door. She kissed your lips before pulling away.

"Just so you know that you are enough. I love you no matter what." Hailee said as she shut the door.

Hailee could read your mind. You were worrying that she would see how you couldn't offer her what a man could, the love, protection and... children.

You both knew that your relationship was going to be a long and difficult road, but you were determined to make it work. You were determined to face whatever challenges came your way, together.

A/n-
This was originally for my Mikey Madison imagine but I made one with Hailee as well so I hope you enjoyed.