Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Cue the dropping open of my mouth.

"He WHAT? And I'm WHAT?!" was all that I could seem to say.

I felt heartbroken all over again. I was sick to my stomach.

"Like I said, I'm not repeating myself."

"Okay," I said, trying to calm myself down. "I've got that. But you still need to explain. Like, now."

"Fine. Your brother was killed because he was the keeper of the password."

"What password?"

"The password to your aunt's fortune and power."

"But..." I mused. "I don't have an aunt...?"

Eli stared at me, seeming confused.

"You really don't know anything, do you?" He asked rhetorically.

I simply rolled my eyes and waited for him to continue the explanation.

"We don't have time for me to tell you everything now. All you need to know is that you're the next keeper of the password. You're now the heir to everything that was once your aunt's."

"I thought you said it was my brother's?"

"It would've been, had he not died. Your aunt was still alive then, so she was still technically the owner of everything. But she died just this past week."

Another shocking fact. I had an aunt.  And she was rich.  And now she was dead.

"This is all really confusing...and weird." I mused.

Then I realized that we'd been walking again without me noticing, and we were now approaching a gas station. It looked...familiar.

Oh! Of course! This was the gas station at the entrance of town, I drove past it on my way to school every day. So we must be around....fifteen miles away now?

"So...what do you have to do with all this?" I asked Eli as we walked. We seemed to be heading towards the station. At least, that was where he seemed to be dragging me.

"I'll explain later." He said simply. Wow, this guy sure did like to talk a lot.

Not.

"Why not now?" I asked. "I need to know everything. Being misinformed or, in my case, completely uninformed, is dangerous! I know, I've seen a bunch of movies where that happens!"

I heard a noise, and I almost thought it was Eli chuckling. But, no, I dismissed that thought as soon as I had it.

When he spoke, his voice was dead serious, as it had been since I'd awoken in his arms. Wow, now that I think about it, was he bipolar are what? I really needed to get information out of him, and quick.

"This is not a movie, Gabrielle. Now, c'mon. We're going to steal a car." His voice was low as he said this, and I gasped.

"How is stealing a car not JUST like what would happen in a movie right at this point??" Unfortunately, we were just walking into the gas station's Quick-Stop market as I practically screamed this.

Eli yanked me by the arm and pulled me down one of the aisles until we were out of clear view of the other customers and all the other people in there who had been giving us weird looks after my sudden outburst upon entering the store.

He looked both ways, still grasping my arm, before he moved close to me so when he whispered i could hear him. He looked me straight in the eyes, and said:

"Because no one is actually in any danger of getting killed in a movie."