Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The world was getting brighter, clearer. Soon nearly all the blurriness had faded, and I was aware that I was in motion. I was being...carried?

My eyes snapped open wider, and I felt dizzy. Once the haze seemed to clear up a bit more, I looked up at whoever was carrying me. It was Eli, and he was staring ahead as he carried me....where? Where was he taking us?

Soon that thought disappaeared, though, because it was then that I noticed a long gash trailing down Eli's left cheek. I gasped, remembering the sudden crash. Everything was coming back to me now. I guess my gasp was louder than I thought, because I caught Eli's attention.

"You're awake. Good." His voice sounded so...cold. So unemotional. I hated it.

This was not the boy I remembered from my days at that cranky old private school.

I wanted to ask what had happened to him, but decided that asking where we were and where we were going was a more important question, at least right now.

"Uh, where are we going, Eli?" I asked him. "All I remember is that crash...and then nothing. What happened to us?"

He kept silent. Was he ignoring me? Had I lost my voice? I began to panic, wondering if somehow my voicebox had been affected in the crash. it couldn't have been! I loved to talk! Surely he was just ignoring me! But if so, man that ticked me off. Any, why? What reason did he have to ignore me?

Surely he didn't blame me for that awful crash, did he? I had to get something out of him.

"Eli." Okay, I heard my voice for sure that time. He must just be ignoring me. My eyes narrowed as he ignored me once again.

"Why aren't we in a hospital or something? I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON." I screamed. I was becoming beyond agitated at this situation. And then I remembered. I could just jump right out of his arms, right? Couldn't I? I knew I had to try.

I started wriggling away in his arms, but he only held me more tightly. Resistance seemed to be futile. Great. So now I had no choice but to wait until he decides to speak to me. That's just wonderful. Maybe I should have just stayed at home after all.....maybe this was just another of my famously grandiose mistakes.

No. No, I couldn't think that way. That family, that house, it's all in the past now. It's over. And I'm never going back. I won't even let myself think about that anymore. It's done.

Not too much longer, and we stopped. Eli put me down, but before I could make a run for it, he had ahold of my arm. I sighed, but then he began to speak.

"I'm only going to explain this once, so listen up. Everything you know, and have ever known, has been a lie to protect you. Three years ago, your older brother died. You know this. But he wasn't killed in a college shooting." Eli said, not even looking at me while he was talking.

"What? Then how did he die?!" I asked. I didn't understand this one bit, but I had a funny feeling I was about to.

"Your brother was assasinated. And now you're being targeted, too."