Chapter Three

Chapter Three

For the past fifteen minutes, there was no talking between Eli and I. We just both sat there, in complete and utter silence.

I was just waiting, waiting for him to break the silence.

But he didn't.

I wondered, why? He had every reason to question me about this, and yet he didn't. Which made me curious. To the point where it kind of bugged me.

So I kept waiting, until we came up to a stop sign, and then I dared to speak.

"So...Eli. You're not going to ask any questions?" I said, glancing at his face to see if he had any immediate reactions to my question.

"About what?" He seemed puzzled, so I decided to drop it. For now. But yet...he seemed to be so far away. What exactly was he thinking about?

I had to know.

"Eli...?"

"Yeah?" He replied.

"What are you thinking about that's got you looking like that?"

"Nothing," He said.

Nothing, my foot.

"You're lying."

"What?"

"I said you're lying, idioit."

Had I gone to far by calling him an idiot? I stole a glance over at him to see his facial expression, to see that he looked a bit annoyed. But it was covering something else....was it just me, or was he acting nervous? I noticed he was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, staring intently at the road ahead of us. Hmm...

"I'm sorry," I apologized.

When I didn't hear an immediate reply, I looked over at him. He nodded, just slightly, but he did. It was almost undetectable.

"So..." I began again, ready to make conversation.

"Umm, Gabrielle? Not to sound rude or anything...but could you keep it down? I'm trying to drive."

My eyes narrowed. Was he really that bad of a driver? Or did he really just want me to shut up and stop talking. Maybe I was bothering him. Wonderful. I'm on my own for half an hour and I've already ticked off my only companion.

Great job, Gabrielle.

"Sorry," I said again. But this time, I barely meant it. My voice held no emotion. And I think Eli could tell immediately.

I heard him give a loud sigh, and he leaned over a bit in my direction.

"Listen, Gabrielle, I didn't mean anything by it. I just...I can't explain much right now. But I really need to concentrate so I don't get us both ki--"

Just then I looked over at him, just in time to see bright headlights, out Eli's window. Eli saw my wide eyes and cut himself off, and, looking out and seeing the lights, he let of the steering wheel and put his arms around me, attempting to protect me.

And then, in a flash, we were hit. There was a loud screeching of metal, screams from people passing by, and then it was over.

Silence took over.

And the world faded to black.