13 | Stairway to Heaven

Comincia dall'inizio

The flurry of rocks Leshi had used a telekinetic force on hit Blake with full force. His shady shape crumpled to the ground.

My fury ignited like a blazing fire.

"How could you? Why would you do this? You're an awful old man. I was telling the truth. We were just passing through your blasted, blighted woods."

"You don't belong here." He bared his forest-floor-insects covered teeth at me.

"And you never even gave us a chance to belong. Not even a little." With a ferocious determination, I wielded my radiant staff, channeling its fire power instead of the power of light.

Indira gasped, bringing her hands to her mouth and I knew what she saw. It was the Shadow Door battle all over again: one of my eyes had become fiery red, half of my hair, raven-black.

"This staff has the fiery capacity to scorch the very heart of your Endless Woods, Leshi!" I roared, seeking justice for my harmed best friend.

"Dana." Indira's voice carried a gentle, soothing tone. "I know how angry you are. I am too, at how he is treating us, and we hadn't even done anything. But burning his forest won't solve anything. You have the power to show Leshi you're not like your father."

"Why should I prove myself to him?" I snarled.

"Don't do it for him. Do it for the shadow forest. We can do something good for this blighted land. Heal it together. Let's bring life back to these animals and trees and show him that life can prevail over death."

I stared into Indira's eyes, feeling my anger warring with a flicker of hope. "Can we really make a difference?" 

Indira nodded, her voice filled with conviction. "This is our path to walk on but why not make every step on it a bit better for everyone else we meet? Let's show Leshi the true strength of kindness and compassion."

I took a deep breath, letting the flames of my rage dissipate. "Alright. Let's make the forest flourish once more."

I raised my staff high, my hair gleaming gold and the brilliant light emanating from the wooden core engulfed the Shadow Squirrels. Their ebony shadowy fur  transformed into a shimmering coat of golden radiance, and their demonic red eyes became tame hazelnut-brown once more.

Indira weaved her fingers as if in a tribal dance, coaxing new leaves to unfurl upon barren branches, and causing vibrant green grass to sprout beneath our feet. It was a moment of enchantment, where darkness was replaced by the warm hues of rejuvenation, and hope bloomed like wildflowers beneath the leafy green trees canopy.

As the last rays of light filtered through the rejuvenated forest, casting a gentle glow upon Leshi, gratitude filled his ancient eyes. With a voice that resonated with wisdom, he said: "Thank you for reviving my beloved trees I had shepherded for centuries."

I cradled Blake's wounded bird-shape between my palms, when Indira stepped on my foot and I made a hasty little bow..

"You are welcome, oh, Leshi, Master of the Endless Woods."

"Your shadowy slippery friend is asleep," Leshi said, nodding at Blake, "and is soon to wake up. My rocks have not harmed him, merely made him unconscious for a little while. I commend you on the display of your fiery spirit, Dana Ilic." The tree-man twisted his mossy beard between gnarly fingers. "You are not the helpless little girl I thought you'd be when you walked into my domain. You truly are your father's daughter."

"Thanks, er, I guess?" I wasn't actually sure if this was good or bad.

"But what I commend you even more on is that your light reined your fiery, shady spirit in, when you received sage advice from your traveling companion. You are your uncle's niece, too."

The god's eyes sparkled with ancient magic as he waved his hand, summoning a majestic stairway crafted from intertwining tree branches. Each step seemed to reach towards the sky adorned with vibrant leaves and blossoms.

In awe, I exclaimed, "It's like a stairway to heaven!"

Indira gasped. "Where does it lead?"

"Up," he said with a mystifying smile. "Oh and... I'd watch out if I were you. It's gonna be a bumpy ride." A second and a wink later, he turned on the spot and vanished.

From the top of the conjured stairs, a single golden-furred squirrel peered down at us. It tilted its head, squeaked, then disappeared into a doorway that had not been there moments ago. Across the lintel, neon letters flashed:

WELCOME, DEMIGOD (LINGS)!

Indira and I stared at it.

"What do you think he meant by It's gonna be a bumpy ride? And what on earth was that squirrel doing?" I asked.

"Oh," said Indira, her foot already on the first step, "he's our guide."

I followed suit, and as soon as I was on the tree branch stairs too, the staircase magically moved like an escalator towards the door.

Our very non-bumpy transpired swiftly carried us to the end, where a mysterious entrance yawned before us.

It looked black as pitch inside. What if it was another trap? My curiosity mingled with apprehension.

But what if it wasn't, and this was our last chance to get to the top of Crystal Mountain? To Lelya and Max?

The longer we took, the worse the weather in Bloomington and, let's face it, in the whole world was gonna get.

Even if the citizens of my hometown didn't know or care that Morana was moving closer and closer, I couldn't ignore that pulse of approaching war pounding in the back of my skull.

"Should we go in?" asked Indira.

I shrugged. "Red pill or blue pill?"

"What pill?"

"It's from The Matrix."

Blake stirred and frowned, hopping on my shoulder. "It's from a rectangular array of quantities?"

"Blake, you're okay! No, it's this movie where—"

"You're stalling, Dana," Blake let with a teasing caw. "What are we doing?"

I felt everyone's gaze on me. I spun the lightning staff around my fingers, then took a step forward.

"We're going in."