037

[▲] Caminha Waypoint

Watts' voice was wavering as he updated them on the last information burst the Asimov had received before entering bridgespace and loosing contact with the Heinlein. "Only ten percent of the Tiaha fleet has managed to jump clear to Arnarson. Strike carriers Simoom and Shamal have moved to create a barrier line between the civilian fleet and any inbound incursion weaponry. MSC Sirocco has joined Heinlein in the forward sphere along with Anansi, Cusith, Agamemnon, and the five 'best functional' battleships Tiaha has left. Still not sure what their definition of 'best functional' is though."

Drumming his fingers atop the left rest of his pilot chair Sparrow nodded to no one in particular. "Is Behzadi joining the fun?"

"The Timur and Andalus will hit the sphere approximately five to six minutes after us," replied Watts. "We should be exactly five minutes behind Rommel and Barca, with Cetan, Hercinia, and Amarok exiting with us on high Z. Longma, Selket and Taniwha will be exiting on low Z hopefully with Andalus. We're not to count on any fighter support from the Hashemite ships, however, as a majority of their wing was damaged in the incursion strike. Most of Tiaha's wing was decimated, but reports are they managed to get a few functional Proteus marauders up."

"How about that Hashemite doom laser?"

"We've been told their HEL arsenal needs clear LOS to target and has a seven minute ramp-up once they're off the bridge. While we're operating on that info I'm betting that time is bullshit. I'll have an eye out, Birdie, but steer clear of their noses as is manageable."

"All right." He glanced back at his countdown timer. "Flight leaders, start your ready checks and call back green or no-go." Switching over to Roughneck's individual channel he said, "Flight Roughneck call back green for launch."

"Agneya green for launch."

"Watson green for launch."

"Goldie green for launch."

"Slick green for launch."

"Typhoon green for launch."

"Loophole green for launch."

"Nava green for launch."

"Birdie green for launch." He waited patiently as his timer shrunk from a three to a two-digit number. Once he heard the verbal confirmations from Flights Lagash and Trantor he entered the launch ready command for Watts to pick up. "Asimov Control, Asimov Wing is green for launch."

As seemed to be his new habit Watts had calmed down considerably now that they were close to their exit window. In all likelihood he would be panicking again in short order once they came out of their gate in a sphere full of chaos dangerously close to other ships. "Seven-zero seconds to reversion. IFF tag refresh at launch when we get our update burst from Heinlein."

Trying to figure out how to sound inspiring Sparrow attempted to mimic the gung-ho voice Herald always had used when he dissected the engagement tactics Cadets employed during their simulation reviews. He had a feeling Nava would rip him a new one for it later and Vijay would help her right along.

"Sharps, Agneya, Watson, I want you paying special attention to anything that looks like it's being launched from the enemy ships, fighter or torpedo. These are new variants, marines, and we're working on short intel, so if you hit upon something that works in killing these bastards quicker you share it on comex for every ship with us. If you think you see a weak point you tell your Hayha and they'll relay it to AC for target check. Watch your wingman and, for the love of whatever deity you kiss up to, NO KILL CHASING. We keep to our defensive sphere and peel when and what we're told to peel until we get orders otherwise. Leave vanguard to the destroyers. Read clear, Asimov Wing?"