Chapter 48 - The Cunning

Start from the beginning

After all, I was being kept out of the loop from this bet by Horikita. If I suddenly asked to join them or they caught me, it would raise suspicions about my true involvement.

I was a couple meters away from the meeting place. I took refuge behind a nearby wall so no one could see me, but I was still within earshot of their conversation.

"Kushida-san," Horikita said.

"What is it?" even from where I was standing, you could hear the fatigue and exhaustion coming from Kushida's voice.

Which meant the chances of her having won this bet were slim.

"If you have a moment, I'd like to confirm something with you?"

"What is it you want to talk about?" Kushida asked.

"Ayanokouji-kun will accompany us since he's involved in the matter. But we should move to a place void of so many students," Horikita suggested.

They weren't a necessarily busy area of the school currently. But they were quite close to the classrooms, and if a student happened to drop by unannounced it could spell disaster for anyone of them.

The group decided to head to the special building to continue their chat. Once again, I kept a loose tail on them, always remaining within earshot but out of sight.

"You wanted to speak about the final exam, right?" Kushida started.

"Precisely. Even if the scores have not been announced yet. I'm sure we can estimate our scores well enough. I am confident I scored a ninety-eight or higher on the mathematics exam, what about you?"

Kushida let out an exasperated sigh. It seems like she already knew this would happen. "There's no need to wait for the results. I couldn't have scored higher than an eighty, maybe less. You won the bet, Horikita-san."

"Alright then..." Horikita sounded puzzled upon hearing the results. "I am a little surprised about your score, though."

"Not everyone can be the best at everything, right?" Kushida replied. "You won the bet; are you happy, Horikita-san?"

"I can trust that you won't get in my way from now on then?"

"I'll keep my promise, no matter how much I hate it. Need it in writing?"

"I'm quite alright. Let's start trusting each other then."

There was a long drawn-out moment of silence before anyone spoke again.

"I hate you, Horikita," Kushida replied. "And I'll only grow to hate you more."

"I can work hard to change that."

Kushida didn't reply, only the sound of shoes was heard as it sounded like Kushida was walking away.

"I won't get in your way. But that doesn't mean I'll be helping you either," Kushida said.

"Quite a shame."

"But remember, Horikita-san, the conditions of the bet were that I wouldn't get in your way. That's all."

"Wha-" Horikita let out a surprised gasp at Kushida's remark.

Horikita probably thought by winning this bet, she could effectively stop Kushida from harming anyone in the class. But it sounds like all she agreed upon was to stop targeting herself. Not anyone else

But would she even keep her promise to Horikita forever? There are quite a few people inside the school now threatening her peaceful life. She wouldn't be quiet about this forever.

I heard the sound of someone walking again in my direction.

It was the same sound as earlier, so I assumed it was Kushida heading my way.