Chapter Eight: The Day After

The next morning, Katerina was having breakfast with Richard who was looking very unhappy with her. Katerina just sipped her tea in silence until Richard spoke up,

"I had hoped you would come to me last night." Richard said to her.

"I was tired." Katerina said.

"Your exertions below decks were no doubt exhausting."

Katerina knew where this was going.

"I see you had that undertaker of a manservant follow me." Katerina said. "How typical."

"You will never behave like that again, Katerina." Richard told her. "Do you understand?"

"I'm not a worker in one of your businesses that you can command. I'm your fiancée."

"My fiancée? My fiancée?!! Yes, you are, and my wife!" Richard flipped the table and trapped Katerina in her chair. "My wife in practice if not yet by law, so you will honor me. You will honor me the way a wife is required to honor a husband. Because I will not be made out a fool, Katerina. Is this in anyway unclear?"

Katerina shook head, scared. "No."

"Good. Excuse me."

Richard left and Katerina started to take in what had just happened. She started to hyperventilate as Emily came over to clean up the mess. Katerina tried to help the maid clean up as she started to cry. Emily assured her that it was alright and that she would handle it. Katerina just sat on the floor and took in what had just happened with Emily comforting her.

Once Katerina calmed down, she and Emily when her room to get ready for the day. Emily was trying up Katerina's corset when Frank walked in telling Emily to make them some tea. Emily curtsied and left, leaving the two alone. Frank started to tie the corset himself while he talked with Katerina.

"You're not to see that boy again, nor Mr. Hockley, do you understand me?" Frank told her. "Katerina, I forbid it."

"Oh, stop it, Father. You'll give yourself a nosebleed." Katerina said.

Frank turned Katerina to her before slapping her on the cheek. "This is not a game. Our situation is precarious. You know the money's gone."

"Of course I know it's gone. You remind me every day." Katerina said as she hold her cheek.

"Your mother left us nothing but a legacy of bad debts hidden by a good name. That name is the only card we have to play. I don't understand you. It is a fine match with Stone. It will ensure our survival."

"How can you put this on my shoulders?"

"Why are you being so selfish?"

"I'm being selfish?"

"Do you want to see me working as a farm worker? Is that what you want? To see our fine things sold at auction? Our memories
scattered to the winds?"

Frank turned away, fighting back tears. She pulled herself together as Katerina sighed.

"It's so unfair." Katerina said.

"Of course it's unfair." Frank said. "You're women. You choices are never easy."

Frank checked Katerina's cheek and asked her to put on makeup to cover it up before counting to tie the corset. Katerina hated that her father hits her and continues to guilt trip her into this marriage. She knew she was just being fix her mother's legacy but she didn't want that weight on her shoulders. Once dressed, she, her father, and Richard went to the dining room, she was Cal across the room and they made eye contact before looking away from each, to sing hymns and listen to the priest talk. Jack went down to First Class to meet up with Katerina and Cal, passing Mr. Andrews on the way there who greeted him.

Jack noticed them in the dining room and tried to get in a member of staff refused to let him in, not recognizing him for last night. Loverjoy and Joseph noticed and walked out to talk to Jack. Lovejoy and Joseph told Jack that Cal Katerina, Richard, and Alice were appreciative the night Katerina who Cal helped tried to kill herself and asked to give him some money as a thank you. Jack told Joseph and Lovejoy that he didn't want their money and just wanted to see Katerina and Cal.

But Joseph interrupted, saying that they wanted him that his presence in First Class was no longer appropriate as he was in Third Class, not First Class. Jack continued to beg to see Cal and Katerina but Lovejoy told the member of staff to take Jack back to Third Class and ensure he stays there. They took Jack away. Later, Katerina, Cal, Nathan, Frank, Richard, Alice, Ruth, Rose, and William were shown around by Mr. Andrews.

They were in a crew-only area, talking about why they had two steering wheels when a crew member brought a ice warning to the Captain. The Captain assured them not to worry it was normal for that time of year and that he had just ordered the last boilers to be lit so that they could get to America before the estimated date. Jack, meanwhile, was climbing up to the First deck to try and catch Katerina and Cal, talking with them.

Jack got up safely and went unnoticed by two men who were watching a boy play with a spinning top. Jack spotted a coat and bowler hat on one of deck chairs and took it, trying to blend in with the First Class. As Katerina and Cal walked with Mr. Andrews, Katerina spoke up about something she realized about the lifeboats. Doing the sum in her head, she discovered there wasn't enough for everyone on the board the ship.

Mr. Andrews told her that there were only enough lifeboats for half the people on the ship. Titanic was built with enough space for more boats but the company denied him more, saying it would make everything look cluttered. But he didn't want Katerina and Cal to worry as he had built her a good ship with all the lifeboats she needed. Before Cal and Katerina follow more, Jack caught them and took them into a room next to them to talk.

"Jack, this is impossible. We can't see you." Cal told him trying to leave with Katerina.

"I need to talk both of you." Jack stopped them.

"No,Jack, no. Jack, I'm engaged. I'm marrying Richard. While Cal is marrying Alice."

"Katerina and Cal,you're no picnic. All right, you two a spoiled little brat, even but under that you're the most amazingly astounding
wonderful girl, boy--woman, man-- that I've ever known and..."

"Jack, we..." Cal started.

"No, let me try and get this out. You two, you two ama-- I'm not an idiot. I know how the world works. I've got ten bucks in my pocket.
I have nothing to offer you guys and I know that. I understand. But I'm too involved now.
You guys jump, I jump, remember? I can't turn away without knowing you'll be all right. That's all that I want."

"Richard and Father have given me no choice but to go through this this. But I'll fine, right." Katerina assured Jack.

"I will be to. Alice and my father want me to marry to a woman that I don't love. But I will be fine."

"Really? I don't think so. They've got you trapped, Katerina, Cal, and you two going to die if you don't break free-- Maybe not right away because you're strong, but sooner or later that fire that I love about you, Katerina...Cal... that fire is going to burn out."

"It's not up to you to save us, Jack." Cal said.

"You're right. Only you can do that."

"We're going back. We have no choice."

Katerina and Cal escaped Jack and went back to the group. Katerina and Cal didn't want to marry Richard nor Alice but both their father gave them no choice. If they could, they would go with Jack but they didn't know how. But maybe Jack could help them.