VIII. When Have Old, Rundown Warehouses Ever Been Suspicious?

MAKOTO DIDN'T RELAX—even after the glow of Quebec City faded behind them.

She didn't really pay attention as Jason and Piper had some sort of conversation behind her, too wrapped up in her own head. Khione had scared her more than she would admit, even if she was just some spoiled ice princess. And Boreas' vague hints about who she was didn't help.

Leo passed them some sandwiches from his pack. He'd been quiet ever since they'd told him what happened in the throne room. "I still can't believe Khione," he said. "She looked so nice."

"Trust me, man," Jason said. "Snow may be pretty, but up close it's cold and nasty. We'll find you a better prom date."

Leo didn't look pleased. He nor Ethan had let on much about their time in the palace, or why the Boreads had singled Leo out for smelling like fire. Makoto wondered what Khinoe meant about Ethan's actions in the old war. Had he been on the titan's side? Makoto got the feeling they were both keeping secrets.

Whatever it was, Leo's mood seemed to be affecting Festus, who grumbled and steamed as he tried to keep himself warm in the cold Canadian air. Happy the Dragon was not so happy.

They ate their sandwiches as they flew. Makoto had no idea how Leo had stocked up on supplies, but he'd even remembered to bring veggie rations for Piper.

Nobody talked. Whatever they might find in Chicago, they all knew Boreas had only let them go because he figured they were already on a suicide mission.

She was glad no one brought up what the god had said to her—he'd called her a murderer. Was he talking about monsters or something? No, no god would make a big deal about that. She didn't think so. Who would she have killed?

The question plagued her even as the moon rose and stars turned overhead. It wasn't long before Piper was asleep, and Makoto was tempted to follow her example. Unfortunately, she had too much adrenaline to rest. She took her hair pins out from her windbreaker, beating them gently against each other just so she could do something. It took about a minute for Ethan to snap, "I will rip those out of your hands and shove one in your ear."

"Stange boast, but alright." Makoto put away the hair pins.

Leo laughed. "Where's the other one going?"

"Up your ass, Elf."

Makoto snorted. "You kiss your mother with that mouth?"

"Well, she's the one who took my eye, so no," Ethan said, which killed the mood very effectively.

Time passed with little conversation (sans a game of eye spy between Makoto and Leo) and it wasn't too long before Jason was asleep. Night was starting to brighten into dawn by the time Leo figured out how to configure Festus to the radio.

"Anyone know what time it is?" He wondered.

"It's been ten songs," Makoto answered.

"It's about six am," Ethan said instead.

"Jesus," Leo muttered. "The second we get into Chicago, we're robbing a McDonalds."

"For breakfast?" Makoto asked. "I like robbing places as much as the next guy, but there has to be better options."

"But the ice cream machine, Koko!"

"Isn't that notoriously bro—"

The dragon lurched as if he'd run into an invisible wall. He roared, throwing his head side to side.

"—ken?"

♦ ♠ ♥♣

Falling through the sky was a very bad experience. Makoto would not recommend. Far below she saw city lights glimmering in the early dawn, and several hundred yards away the body of the bronze dragon spinning out of control, its wings limp, fire flickering in its mouth like a badly wired lightbulb.