"You think he's showing you any right now?"

I cringe; no, he probably isn't. I know he was faithful during our marriage, but I also know he was tempted, a lot. He travels for work, and there are a lot of nights drinking with his team in hotel bars. A group of sales executives, in fancy expensive clothes, only there for a night or two? There's something very alluring about that to local singles at those bars, and they were constantly fluttering around them.

Julian, for his part, would always get back to his room around midnight and call me. He'd even gossip with me about which colleagues were obviously going to take someone up with them that night. We'd talk for hours until we couldn't stay awake anymore. It made those nights with him gone more bearable. The calls grew shorter as the years passed, and we had less to say to each other. But he still didn't stray, that I know in my heart.

But that was then, and this is now. Julian has since been demoted and is trying to climb the ranks again, which means more traveling than ever, and he's not married anymore. Instead, he's bitter and still very angry at me for ending things. He's probably doing things I don't want to think about on the road now.

But he has the right to do that, right? He does and somehow it doesn't bother me. He can do what he wants and so can I.

"That's a no," Brandi comments on my silence, and I look up.

"Actually, I just realized I don't care what he's doing. I think that's progress," I say.

"Good girl, so get on that." She nods towards Hunter at the bar.

"It's just all so complicated..." I gaze at Hunter's back as he's up at the bar talking to the bartender.

"It's not. Y'all just make it complicated by denying it," Brandi points out.

"We're not..." I trail off because I have no idea what Hunter feels for me, but I'm not blind. It's more than friendship I know that, but when I thought it could happen once, when I was so sure...

...I was wrong, and I was crushed.

I can still see myself standing in his room holding that Polaroid like it was the exact sign I was waiting for, my heart soaring with hope.

"What you need to do, is shut off your brain and open your legs," Brandi advises, and I laugh out loud as I shake my head.

"Brandi, good God."

"Well, you do!"

"Hush," I say as I see Hunter returning, two margaritas in one hand, three shots in the other, and a bottle of beer tucked under his arm. He passes everything out and then sits, and once again, we all have a shot in our hand to tip back. We don't bother toasting this time. We just go for it. Honestly, the burn feels good, and so does the nice buzz I'm feeling.

A group of girls have gathered on stage and are singing and dancing to an old Spice Girls Song.

"We got to get in line, Kinz!" Brandi declares.

"No way."

"Yes way," she argues like we're teenagers. "Why come to a karaoke bar and not sing?" 

"To watch other people humiliate themselves," I say.

"Exactly,' Hunter agrees as he tips back his beer.

"Hunter, I expect to be a spoilsport," Brandi says as she gets up and grabs my arm. "Kinsey, is going to sing. Come on."

I look at Hunter for a rescue, and he smirks with a little shrug. "I kinda want to see you up there... in that dress." His eyes darken as they scan my body and fuck it if it doesn't cause little butterflies to dance around in my belly.