𝐱𝐢𝐢 | starry night

Start from the beginning

Iris bites her lips, holding back a smile in the middle of what might be her last day on earth.

Reiner doesn't spare any more glances at his comrades and jumps off to Eren and Ymir. Iris and Bertholdt follow.

"Change of plans. We're moving."

Eren stares at him with wide eyes, "What? Weren't we gonna wait til nightfall?"

Reiner walks to him, his hands hovering over his blades, "I said we're moving... Don't resist, do you hear me?"

"Come on, don't get violent with me," Eren grins but he couldn't hide his nervousness, "Do I look like I can resist? Give me a break, man."

For a moment, Iris believed Eren would actually cooperate, judging on how he backed off and Reiner relaxed. However, she forgot he's still Eren.

Eren then runs forward, knocking Reiner off the ground. When his back hits the trunk, Eren gets on top of him and starts punching his face with the nub of his arm.

"Die! Die! Die!" he yells.

Iris cringes at the sight.

The angry brunette was quickly overpowered by Reiner, now held in a headlock. He continues to shout.

"I'll kill you, you hear me?! I'll slaughter you!"

"Soo... why exactly are we leaving before time?"

Iris and Bertholdt turn to Ymir, who sat with all the calmness of the world, staring up to them. Bertholdt was the first one to speak, skipping her question, "Ymir, do you remember who you ate, when you turned back to human?"

"No. I don't... Though, I'm guessing it was one of your friends, since it was five years ago," she sees their gloom faces and sighs, "Sorry... for not remembering, then."

Iris swallows, finding the reminder of such tragedy unsettling. Marcel was a kind boy that always looked after the people he cared about. Ymir was the one to eat him alive.

It was an odd feeling to be in her current position.

"Its not your fault for forgetting. It happened to us, too. Guess it's the same for everyone," Bertholdt tells her.

"I see..." Ymir whispers, then she locks eyes with Iris, "Do you hate me for it?"

Iris thought for a moment before replying, "I don't hate you... I think... We were all just in the wrong place, at the wrong time... That doesn't mean we're about to go braid each other's hair right now."

Ymir chuckles. "You know, we might've never been friends, but I always thought you were tough. Now we know you got the funny in you as well."

Iris is taken back. She clears her throat, unsure on how to take the sudden compliment.

"Uh... thanks... I guess."

"How long were you wandering outside the walls?" Bertholdt asks.

"About sixty years."

"Goddamn."

Ymir and Bertholdt stare at Iris, making her realize she had thought out loud. The glare on Ymir's face made her extremely uncomfortable.