Creative Writing 3

Thunder bellowed angrily, harshly in harmony with the howling wind. It then meekly became a shrill shriek in response to the raised murmuring of the forest. The wind echoed it, as if under a spell. I drowned myself in terrifying thoughts, evil thoughts. I imagined myself being killed horrifically, or being eaten alive. Or what if I was kidnapped, in this dark, lonely and remote country, and never found again? Immersed in my threatening waves of misery, I didn’t notice the tendrils of dark, ivy-like vines creeping malevolently towards me.
Trembling and cold, I shivered violently, unaware of the terror that was about to seize me. My fingers were a frightening shade of pale, waxy-purple. I blew on them quickly, but to no avail. I cursed my fate, my brain, my luck, and all things sorrowful.  

A twig snapped. She whipped around rapidly. She hadn’t moved. So who had? With that thought in mind, she ran through the grey, desolate field, unsteady on her feet. The trees seemed to float around her, swirling and twisting, obstructing her way out. She ran faster, her brain scrambled. Distant footsteps could be heard behind her, only increasing her frantic stumbling through the roots. Clouds hovered above her, casting an evil curse upon her. She ran until she could no more, praying to the god she had abandoned all her life for some version of sanctuary.

The childlike figure smiled widely, motioning for me to follow her. Entranced by her sweet, innocent face and her beautifully golden silk hair, I followed her. Down we went through the door, following the winding trail, entering the forest as though we had no care in the world. By the time I had noticed that we had wandered deep into the dark forest, we were already too far for me to find my way back. Glancing around my surroundings, I realised the lack of noise, and the black rot of the lightning-struck trees.