just tired - gunwook

Gunwook-centric, angsty, unrequited crush, side Gyuvin x Ricky, sad ending

Gunwook liked Gyuvin. But Gyuvin liked Ricky. And Ricky liked Gyuvin too.

‎words : 1020

———————————

Gunwook sat by the kitchen table peacefully eating his breakfast cereal. Gyuvin was sitting opposite him with Hanbin on his side. Gunwook, Gyuvin, and Hanbin were the only ones sitting there until Ricky walked in, looking chic, like always. Gunwook gazed up at him, nodding his head as a good morning.

He turned his head just to see Gyuvin staring at Ricky again with those oh-so-loving eyes. The sparkle in his pearl-like eyes was even more visible than it normally was, Gunwook could notice. He could see the way Gyuvin's face lit up whenever the blonde would walk in, never failing to catch Gyuvin's attention. He would notice every little thing that Ricky did, the same way Gunwook noticed him.

But Ricky also observed Gyuvin. Ricky had his typical toothy smile plastered on his face whenever the same age friends were having a conversation. Gyuvin was the one Ricky hugged the most, anyone else being very rare. Gunwook couldn't recall a time Ricky would have initiated skinship with anyone other than Gyuvin.

Gyuvin was a very touchy person. Ricky wasn't. Even an outsider could observe that. However, they perfectly balanced each other out. Ricky was way more touchy than usual, and Gyuvin toned it down to keep Ricky comfortable. Gunwook envied that.

Or the way Ricky was always there whenever Gyuvin felt down or needed a shoulder to cry on. Gunwook was also there. He wanted to be the one comforting Gyuvin. But Gyuvin never went to him. He always went to Ricky. It was always Ricky.

Like now, when Ricky made his way to the seat on the other side of Gyuvin. Gyuvin's smile reached from one ear to another as he let his head rest on Ricky's shoulder. Ricky smiled as well, grabbing Gyuvin's sandwich. He took a bite of it as if it was his own. Gunwook had noticed them sharing their food before, too.

Gunwook couldn't help but stare at Gyuvin's pretty features as he was having a light banter with Ricky about stealing his food. Every word Gyuvin spoke was coated with pure adoration. Towards Ricky. Oh, how Gunwook wished he could have been the one receiving this kind of attention and affection from Gyuvin.

Ever since somewhere around halfway of Boys planet, Gunwook had been having these thoughts and feelings. But he hadn't spoken about them. He never could, and never will. He didn't want to risk it, and now, well, Ricky was there. Gunwook could finally see the two of them, how close they actually were. He never saw that on Boys planet.

Gunwook was way too deep in thought to notice Gyuvin and Ricky leave, so Hanbin had to wave his hand on Gunwook's face to get his attention. Gunwook blinked a couple of times and gazed at Hanbin.

"Earth to Gunwook!" Hanbin said and had a light chuckle at Gunwook's puzzled expression. Gunwook's cheeks heated a little and turned a weak tone of pink. He looked away.

"Are you alright? You were staring at the seat Gyuvin sat on for at least a minute after he left," Hanbin exclaimed, his amusement turning into slight worry. He lightly tilted his head.

"Ah yes, I'm just tired, that's all," Gunwook insisted. It was partially true anyway. He had woken up early for schedules, and he wasn't much of a morning person. He also slept very late last night, daydreaming of a certain group mate of his.

Talking about group mates, the maknae walked into the room, looking tired as ever. Gunwook mentally thanked Yujin, as Hanbin's attention shifted fully to the youngest, forgetting Gunwook had ever spaced out in the first place.

So with Hanbin's attention not on him anymore, Gunwook made his way out of the kitchen, back into his shared dorm room with Taerae. He lazily sat on his unmade bed, crossing his legs. Placing his elbow on his knee, he leaned his head on his hand, thinking.

What was it about Ricky that made Gyuvin so keen on him? What did Ricky have that Gunwook didn't? Well, a longer time spent knowing each other, same birth year, a lot of things actually. Ricky knew a lot more things about Gyuvin. He has spent much more time with Gyuvin. Gunwook was no match for that.

But why could it not be him? Why couldn't Gunwook be the one that Gyuvin met at his company and learnt to love? If Gunwook would have joined Yuehua instead, could it have been him? Thoughts spiraled through Gunwook's head, not leaving him any time to hear Taerae entering the room, hair damp from a shower he just took.

Taerae made his way to his own bed, silently observing Gunwook, who hadn't blinked in a long while, staring at the floor in front of him. Taerae took a makeup bag from his desk drawer and started doing his morning skincare. He popped a lotion bottle open, the sound of it making Gunwook snap out of his thoughts.

"Oh hey Taerae, didn't see you there" Gunwook said, turning to Taerae with an unreadable expression. "Something on your mind?" Taerae asked, nodding his head as a greeting. He didn't look back at Gunwook, just continuing his skincare by pouring some of the lotion onto his fingers and applying it to his face.

"Uh... not really, I'm just tired" Gunwook answered, scratching the back of his neck. Taerae was an observant person, and Gunwook was sure he wouldn't buy the excuse. And he was right. Taerae wasn't satisfied with the answer that he got from the taller.

"Are you sure? I don't feel like that's all. I, of course, won't force you to say anything, but just know that I'm here for you to talk to. "

Taerae's voice was plastered with kindness. It felt comforting, Gunwook thought. Almost as if he could actually open up to him. But he didn't. He could never. Feelings like this, he can deal with them by himself. He wouldn't worry any of his members with it, ever. He didn't want to be a bother.

"Thank you, I appreciate it, but I'm fine. Really"

‎‎

———————————

a/n

This is kinda short and the ending was pretty rushed, sorry. It was just a drabble but i wanted to make it a bit longer to post so yeah. I really wanted to write something with Gunwook, and projecting your own love life to your ult bias is always a good idea haha.