𝟎𝟐𝟗 The Girl Who Cried

Magsimula sa umpisa

"She said that?"

Buck sinks into his chair as everyone relishes in the new knowledge of the hurtful things Emery said to Hen.

"I...I know Emery can be a lot at times, but..." Eddie shakes his head. "I never thought she would say something like that."

"A lot is kind of mean, don't you think?" Buck finally speaks up.

Everyone turns to the boy and his face grows hot. "You're kidding, right?" Hen chuckles.

"I-I'm just saying," he starts. "you don't know what's going on with her. Maybe—"

"It doesn't excuse how she's acting, Buck." Hen cuts him off. Buck's chest tightens and he slams his mouth shut. He wanted to fight for Emery until his last breath. He would. God, he wanted to shout from the rooftops and tell everyone how important she was to him and how much he would give up for her. But no one was supposed to know about what they are...were.

And fighting for someone whose supposed to be your 'enemy' would be suspicious. Buck looks at his plate, "No, you're right. It doesn't excuse anything. It's just...we're at work. So, maybe keep it professional and not talk about our coworker like this?"

Everyone falls silent. Bobby pulls his brows together at Buck's words. Buck feels Bobby's suspicious gaze on him and he starts to sweat. And he had just taken a shower too. Then Bobby's expression softens, "Buck's right. Whether you and Em are friends or not. You are coworkers. And we face our issues head on. We don't talk about our own behind their backs."

Hen doesn't reply, she just goes back to eating. Rushed footsteps are heard coming up the stairs. Everyone at the table turns their heads to see Emery coming up the stairs. Buck let's out a small breath and a smile finds his lips. Emery's shirt was steamed to perfection (as usual), and her hair was brushed into a low ponytail with a side braid on the right. Everything about Emery's appearance looked right. But there was a small hint of something in her face that Buck couldn't explain. Something was different about her.

The girl looks at each person at the table and her eyes stay on Hen's for a moment, but Hen doesn't bother looking at her. Emery didn't blame her.

"Uh, s-sorry I'm late." Emery lets out a small breath. "I lost track of time."

Everyone stares at her for a moment, not knowing how to even look at her the same. Was she even the same Emery that would laugh at the corniest jokes? Was she the same girl that would pretend to be reluctant to give someone advice, even though she secretly loved helping?

Who even was the person standing in front of them right now?

"Well, this is your first offense, with me." Bobby says. "So, you're fine. There's a plate for you in the microwave."

Emery noticed that there's only one spot left at the table and it's next to Hen. Her chest tightens and she inhales a breath. "Uh, I already ate, actually." She lies. Emery doesn't even remember the last time she ate. 2 days maybe? The days have been blending together after going back and forth from L.A. to San Diego to visit her family. That's the reason she was late, she was in traffic all day from her parents place. It was getting to be a lot for the girl, but she could handle it...

For now.

"Okay, you don't have to eat, but we still have the rule of catching up—"