Chapter Eight

Carl

Carl

It's too damn hot. I thought that today would be a better day to harvest since it's been getting colder out and it wouldn't be so draining, but damn. I was wrong.

Maybe it's just because we've been out here for the past two hours hanging the laundry to dry on the clothesline, but still.

I only just finished harvesting all of the tomatoes, cucumbers, and green beans. I still have to dig up the potatoes and remember which is the lettuce to harvest and not just a bush.

Enid on the other hand is almost done and her basket is almost completely filled. She has a ton of strawberries, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and peppers. I'm supposed to be the one good at harvesting and farming. My dad was the one who went all "house on the prairie" at the prison, after all.

I begrudgingly start my search for the potatoes, feeling around the dirt and watching them rise to the top. I start to put them all in my basket and actually get a decent amount before the sound of Enid gasping catching my attention. I'm at full alert and my head snaps to the side to check for any possible source of danger. My hand already has my bowie knife out and I search the area around us for any threats.

When I don't see any, I start to get even more worried.

Enid, noticing my worry, holds a hand out to me with a reassuring look. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and slip my dull knife back into its sheath.

Enid takes my hand and I crouch besides her, looking in the same direction that she is. It's only now that I see a brown and white rabbit looking up at us wearily as it munches on some celery.

I figured we had a raccoon or rodent of some kind because of the tiny bite marks on some of the celery and other crops lately. It was kind of annoying since i've been working my ass off to create this garden in the first place, but looking at the rabbit now makes me not so pissed about it. Still annoyed though. Just not as much.

It's cute. Sitting in a small patch of clovers and holding the celery with its little paws. I also don't miss the giant grin on Enid's face as she watches it.

She holds her other hand out to it in hopes of it coming slower, but the rabbit only just stares at her. Enid then reaches into her basket- very slow to make sure she doesn't scare the rabbit off, and grabs a carrot.

Do rabbits actually like carrots?

Growing up, they'd always be eating carrots in storybooks. I don't think this particular rabbit will want any carrots though. He seems to enjoy my celery a lot more.