1

LONG AGO, TWO RACES RULED OVER EARTH: HUMANS AND MONSTERS. ONE DAY, WAR BROKE OUT BETWEEN THE TWO RACES. THE MONSTERS, HAVING MUCH WEAKER SOULS THAN HUMANS, EVENTUALLY HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO SURRENDER, AND WERE SEALED UNDERGROUND BY SEVEN HUMAN MAGES. AFTER SOME TIME, THE MONSTERS DISCOVERED THAT THE SEAL COULD BE BROKEN WITH THE USE OF MAGIC EQUIVALENT TO THAT OF THE SEVEN MAGES. BY OBTAINING SEVEN HUMAN SOULS. AS TIME WENT ON, THE OCCASIONAL HUMAN WOULD ACCIDENTALLY STUMBLE INTO THE WORLD OF MONSTERS. AND ONE BY ONE, THE MONSTERS SUCCESSFULLY GATHERED SIX HUMAN SOULS. EAGER FOR THE SEVENTH AND FINAL SOUL THAT WILL GRANT THEM THEIR FREEDOM, THE MONSTERS WAITED FOR ANOTHER HUMAN TO EMERGE. BUT NOBODY CAME.

OR SO THEY THOUGHT...

***

YEARS AGO...

Snow covered the trees and the ground as the young skeleton bolted through the flawless white blanket. His breaths were ragged and uneven as his little brother chased him.

"haha, you're gonna have to try a little harder than that, small fry!"

"Ha! I may be small... but that only means I'm faster! I gotcha now! Tag!" The little brother, Papyrus, attempted to tag him. Yet, the older brother, Sans, disappeared with a spurring noise. Papyrus fell face first into the snow. He quickly rose to his elbows and looked behind him, where the older brother stared at him with a blank look, unfazed.

"Hey! That's cheating!" He exclaimed. Sans chuckled.

"didn't know tag had rules." He lifted his arms up and shrugged. "Nnh...you know you're not supposed to teleport without dad around, anyway. What if you get lost again?"

"aw c'mon, bro, cut me some slack. i've gotten really good at it now." He disappreared with another spurring noise. He reappeared behind Papyrus, making the younger brother turn his head. "see?" They paused for a moment. Papyrus whipped around and tagged him, failing again. Sans disappeared quickly, reappearing behind Papyrus again. Papyrus let out a soft growl. "ooh... so close!" Sans exclaimed. "Quit it!" Papyrus yelled playfully with a smile on his face, dashing after Sans.

"besides...even if i were to get lost, i know this forest like the back of my ha-aaaaand?" He yelled at the ending as he slipped and fell, sliding down a frozen river. "guess the ice must have slipped my mind..." he exclaimed as he slipped down the ice, further and further. "heh heh".

Papyrus groaned as Sans continued to slide down the river. "uh oh". Sans quietly said as he came close to the cliff of the river. "stop! stop! stop!" He yelled as he continued to slide closer to the edge.

"SANS! WATCH OUT FOR THE-"

"yes pap, i see the-" Sans got cut off as he fell down the cliff of frozen water.

***

The young skeleton sat at the bottom of the tall cliff with no way of getting back up.

breathe...

focus... and breathe...

c'mon...

c'mon...

c'mon!

He thought, as he mustered up all of his power and magic. He disappeared in mere seconds, leaving a quiet spurring noise behind.

"Sans!?" His little brother called out for him and whimpered at the sight of the edge of the cliff. "H-he must've teleported...but where did he...S-sans!? Where are you!?" His brother ran around, looking for him.

Sans found himself in an unknown area of snowy forest. He gasped as he tried to inhale air, for he landed on his back and hit it hard. His fluffy jacket was just enough to keep him warm. He kept his eyes closed. "heh...s-see, paps? told you i have it under c-control." Sans said, as he thought he was with his younger brother. He huffed. He let out a breath of relief. "paps?" He finally opened his eyes. Realization hit him hard and he sat up quickly. He looked around. "w-where...?"