Chapter Two

"Get out, kid."

Jude's eyelids fluttered open, his brown eyes tiredly scanning the semi-blurry campus surrounding him. Fall leaves scattered the ground, highlighting the clean-cut green grass with shades of yellow, orange, and brown. With classes in session, gardeners were removing any rodents and pulling weeds.

"Hey, kid," the chauffer yelled sourly. "I told you to get your ass out. I'm not being paid to sit here and let you check out this hellhole's help."

Jude scrambled out, quickly removed his suitcases from the car's trunk, and walked up the long, cleaned walkway that lead to the front office. Before entering, Jude just stared at the massive building. It was at least six times bigger than his large Victorian style home, and made entirely of brick. There were many windows, but all had the drapes drawn. The drapes, as far as Jude could tell, were all cream-colored. How boring, he thought, and starting up the short staircase to the large oak doors of Hangle's Boarding School.

The lobby was a large room with grey walls. One wall, a short one opposite to the doorway, held three shelves. All of them were filled with awards and framed pictures to remember achievements. The wall from the right of the doorway was bare, but in front of the wall were some uncomfortable-looking chairs and a little coffee table with some magazines from the eighties. The wall from the left of the doorway held a secretary's desk, where an elderly woman was typing feverishly, ignoring Jude's appearance.

"Ma'am," Jude murmured, walking to the desk. "Erm, Jude Heath. I just-"

"I know, I know," the woman muttered. "Your parents paid to send you to this school." She shoved a sheet of paper into his chest. "Kalia Smyth should be sitting in the next room. She's your guide for the rest of the week."

Jude waved off the woman and walked through the only door besides the entrance. Inside, a sheet of rich dark chocolate brown covered a small-looking girl's face. She was sitting down, slouched, with her elbows on her knees. Her outfit consisted of black skinny jeans, black converse with neon green rubber lining at the bottom, a well-fitting white T-shirt, and a black vest with skinny grey stripes going veritical on it. "Kalia Smyth?" Jude whispered.

"Who else?" she muttered. Standing up, Jude got a better look at her. She looked about the same height as his little brother - four feet eleven inches - and had a pale complexion. Her dark brown eyes highlighted this, as did her makeup, which was dark in itself. She looked a like a little goth elf. "Come on, Dumbo, I don't want extra homework."