3.

Authors Note: The song for this chapter is Exile by Taylor Swift and Bon Iver.

The school bell rings signaling that class is over, I stand up from my seat and begin making my way down the hallway.

"Hey, Hazel." Conner's voice calls out from behind me. I turn around.

"What's up?"

"I've been meaning to ask you, do you want to go on a date with me sometime?" His tone and body language scream of confidence and grace. A few girls are staring at us now and I feel like a bright stage like is on me, I softly smile.

"Oh. That's really sweet of you, but there's someone else. I'm sorry." I apologetically reply. His eyes glance around, he looks slightly confused.

"Is he a long distance man in Fresno? Because I know you aren't dating anyone here." He lightly jokes. I giggle softly.

"No, he's not long distance... He just doesn't go here."

"Alright, who's my competition?" He smirks, I grin up at him.

"Conner... You don't have to compete with anyone." He really doesn't. Any other girl here would dump her current boyfriend on the spot if he asked them out.

"But I do if it means winning you over."

I can still feel what feels like thirty different eyes on us, or should I say death glares from Allison Jones and her other friends. Allison has thrown herself at Conner for the past three years, but he always turned her down. I don't know why, she's beautiful.

When I don't say anything, Conner just gives me a kind expression.

"I'm not gonna give up that easy." He says confidently. "Call me if Mr.Fresno doesn't work out. I'll be here waiting."

He turns around and makes his way down the hallway of bodies leaving me standing there feeling surprised. Well, McKenna was right, Conner definitely asked me out... I hope I didn't embarrass him by being the first girl in history to turn him down. He's very handsome, he could have any girl he wanted, it's a shame that it's me that he wants rather than Allison. I can't hold a candle to her beauty.

Allison Jones is the schools head cheerleader. She's got sun kissed skin— even if it is from a tanning bed, and large dark blue eyes, her hair is coffee brown and it has blonde highlights in it. She's got a flawless complexion and this tiny perfect nose along with full rosy lips. Conner should be asking out her, not me.

"Oh my God!" McKenna approaches me, her brown eyes are wide.  "He actually asked you out! I knew it!"

"Yeah, he did." I awkwardly reply. I really hope I didn't embarrass him...

"Yeah, and she said no." Allison bitterly laughs. "Are insane? Or just stupid?"

"Go fly a kite." McKenna snaps.

"Go stick your fingers down your throat." Allison sneers.

"Guys, stop!" I hastily chime in. They both look at me.  "Allison, yes, I turned Conner down. So what? Go chase after him again."

She just glares at me for a moment before marching off down the hallway in her cheerleading uniform. I roll my eyes and shake my head at her.

"God, she's annoying." McKenna grumbles.

"I know." I let out a sigh.

"So... Have you told Seth yet?" She asks changing the subject.

"No. But I was thinking, maybe I could tell him sooner rather than later. When I was over there this weekend, he got a text from this girl. It turns out they have been on a few dates together..." I pause, McKenna gasps as her eyes widen.  "He told me he didn't feel a connection with her though, so I don't think he's going to pursue that. But I need to buckle up and just tell him before it's too late."