Chapter 12:

(5) Five times Jason surprised the Avengers and one time they surprised him

It wasn't a good day for Jason. It was obvious to everyone in the room.

Especially Wanda.

Even though she's gotten better control of her powers, it was still hard for her to grasp certain concepts. Being able to feel other people's emotions was one of them.

A cold wave of dread washed over her and she couldn't resist the shiver that made its way down her body. Wanda felt concerned glances being sent her way but she ignored them, choosing to shoot her own worried glance at Jason.

It's been months since she's met the vigilante and she could see why everyone got attached to him quickly. It didn't take long for either Wanda or Pietro to see him as their brother.

Which is why she hated seeing him like this. Everyone in the room feels the same way. Problem is, none of them knew how to help.

Suddenly, Wanda's head began to hurt and she felt sweat began to drip down her face. Her eyes blinked erratically. It's not sweat, she realized. It's tears. Before she could say a word, a pained scream let itself out from her throat.

A second barely passed and Pietro was next to her. "Deep breaths," he said, "Do it with me."

Wanda followed her brother's instructions and when she calmed down, she met multiple sets of worried eyes. With a weak smile, she shook her head before gently turning it towards Jason.

While her heart warmed at the concern the Avengers had for her, it was directed toward the wrong person. Jason needed to know that he had a family that cared. They won't force him to talk but a small reminder that he wasn't alone would go a long way. Jason shouldn't have to feel all those emotions by himself. He shouldn't keep it bottled up.

It's not healthy. She watched as Tony approached Jason.

She would know.

Because he was too occupied with his thoughts, Jason didn't notice that Tony was heading towards him until he felt the seat next to him became occupied. He didn't acknowledge the older man, focusing on the movements his hands were doing instead.

If Jason could move them, then it meant that he wasn't tied up in the warehouse. It meant he wasn't with the Joker.

It meant-

He ripped out of his thoughts and Jason was transported back to his memories. He watched as his younger self told his mo- Sheila Haywood. That woman was not his mom- that he was a Robin.

This was weird. This was different.

Instead of reliving his death, Jason was watching it like it was some sort of television show.

He didn't know which was worst.

Jason watched as he carelessly followed the woman into the claimed "empty warehouse". He was so naive.

So desperate.

He watched as the Joker appeared out of the shadows. Mini-Jason's eyes widened and when he turned Sheila, he was met with an uncaring wall of stone as she brought the cigarette to her mouth.

It's been years and Jason's still not over it.

She was supposed to be his mom. She was supposed to care. She was supposed to keep him safe.

She was supposed to love him.

She wasn't supposed to sell him out to a psychotic maniac.

The countdown from the timer haunts him. It echoed through his head and he watched as his younger self throw his body over Sheila like he was some sort of shield.